Ugh did I just ruin this by cleaning

frogmountain

Apr 26, 2011
Beach find , gave it a quick dunk in salt and vinegar and it looks less sharp. Pics of before and after
20231218_142844.jpg
20231218_154215.jpg

Upvote 7
Do you think it's a double die or? Looks like a regular 1972 copper cent to me.
Vinegar on fries?
Steel wool to clean cents? I tumble them by the hundreds.
When I mentioned using Steel Wool for cleaning Pennies I was saying for individual coins (not any key dates).
I've also used a Tumbler to clean many hundreds of clad Nickels, Dimes and Quarters - off to the Coinstar Machine.
I don't clean any Pennies unless I need them for my collection - put in Albums and Coin Folders.

Copper is still in use in Circulating Coins.
all Cents made of copper would be culled out a Lot faster

silver is no longer in circulation on a large scale.

if all cents were now aluminum , steel or plastic,
and copper was as rare as silver in circulation it would be allowed.

as far as I know you Can Melt Copper cents, You Can't legally Sell The Copper from them in large scale for Profit.

People do on YouTube to Show what they would get
I have about seven 2-LB coffee cans full of 1959-1982 pennies. Maybe 4 or 5 of 1983 & newer. No idea what I’ll do with them. 😆

I have a 5 Gallon Jug I throw all my Lincolns in non searched.

I also have a Mason Jar almost full of Rotted, Dug Lincolns in.
I Plan to Bury it in a Park that gets Hunted at some Point.

Your a regular Forrest Fenn ! ! !

Can we get clues ? ? ?

:)
Come on....can wee pweese getta cluesy woosy... :(

Ok ok.... is it near a rock or rocks ?
A tree ? ..... Bush ? ? ?

Some where over there... under where ? ..... ...... ...... hmmmm underwear.......... damn too tight.

Um... yes a littsey bitsy tieensy weensie wittel clue will do.

A poem ? like Fenns ? ? ?

How bout a drawn picture ? ? ?.... you know... nothing too descriptive.... just like ummmm.... a map... yeah... just a little map ? ? ?

A "map picture / picture map".... yeah thats it... thats all..

You know.... just to get the ole hunt ah goin

On the regular note... Ya know.... a real clue being a real SINGLE picture... And as far as i know would be a first... (?).... a treasure hunt that revolves around one single picture would be cool... never heard of that one before.

IE: an area outside obviously... with clear sun direction / shadowing (and other hints) and types of foliage etc etc... land formations... hints of geologies etc.

Last edited:
no worries , still worth one cent.
This cent is actually worth about 2 cents as its 95% copper. Cents from 1982 forward are made primarily from zinc and are worth less than a cent. Any cents minted 1981 or earlier have the copper content that makes them worth more than a cent. Ive always been told not to clean any coins with anything unless they are worthless. Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back