Two Hunts At Old School Give Up A Lot Of Quarters

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
On two consecutive Saturday mornings I hunted a 1940's elementary school that I've hunted since the 1980's. The silver dried up years ago but since they put a soccer field on what once a baseball diamond the clad finds have improved a lot. The ratio of quarters to other coins is excellent to say the least and the second photo was from the second hunt, this past Saturday and is almost entirely made up of quarters. I DID NOT cherry pick the quarters on the second hunt. The two hunts combined gave up a little over $11.00 in clad.

Upvote 12
View attachment 2152287View attachment 2152288 On two consecutive Saturday mornings I hunted a 1940's elementary school that I've hunted since the 1980's. The silver dried up years ago but since they put a soccer field on what once a baseball diamond the clad finds have improved a lot. The ratio of quarters to other coins is excellent to say the least and the second photo was from the second hunt, this past Saturday and is almost entirely made up of quarters. I DID NOT cherry pick the quarters on the second hunt. The two hunts combined gave up a little over $11.00 in clad.
Lunch money?

Lots of change that's for sure.
Was the chain just plated or something better?

Lunch money?
Lunch money ? No, definitely not. I cash in all my clad at the end of the year, then go to a coin show and buy silver and/or gold with it.

Lots of change that's for sure.
Was the chain just plated or something better?
Unfortunately, the chain is just a piece of junk metal. It sure would have been nice if it was marked 14K.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear - when I wrote "Lunch money?" I was referring the quarters you found, perhaps lost by school kids who went hungry that day.
Years ago I would have said Yes, definitely lunch money but nowadays school lunches are paid online. Kids don't take money to school like they used to. This particular school didn't have any clad to speak of in recent years but since they put in the soccer field a few years ago the clad finds have increased by quite a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back