Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello TreasureNet members & guests.

This posting is about an idea looking for needed help to turn it into a viable plan. There are many families w/children who suffered greatly in the aftermath of the horrible storms that came through. Hardest hit it seems is Western N.C. But East TN and some in GA and FL also.

As many of you know I have built toy boxes and have donated 100's for 8 years now here in TN. My community of Centerville and the Franklin PD take them from me, fill and deliver them to needy families w/children. The below link is from this years donation posting in General Discussion by me for Christmas 2024.

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/2024-donated-toy-boxes-for-families-children.703150/

Here's my idea in need of a plan: I'd like to possibly build up to 200 toy boxes at once and have them delivered to groups helping those families w/children in need from the storms for Christmas 2025. Let's break this down into 2 parts. Part A and Part B. And this would be a one time endeavor if done.

PART A: This part would consist of raising the funds needed to build this many. That part has been pre-approved by TreasureNet management and supported. This part would dictate how many I could build. I am blessed with a great woodshop and machinery to do this I believe. Ordering the wood, parts and necessary upkeep of tooling are all included in PART A. I believe PART A is the easier part of the 2 (though not easy). But I believe I can handle the money and build them. And yes anybody helping me hands on would be a huge plus and needed. This part can be broke down further.... but let's move on to where I truly need help moving forward from an idea and into a viable plan......?

PART B: The logistics part.This part would require a lot of research, contacts and communication. Maybe 2-3 folks or 1 person who's highly organized. Part B is finding the groups, communicating with them and seeking a commitment of how many they would be willing to take if there made available. It would involve taking the toy boxes from my shop and dispersing them where needed. I believe this is the hard part and I need somebody or some folks who can step up figure this out and handle it. There's many stories and TV interviews available to use on the internet explaining what this is about to any potential groups.

This is NOT an official announcement of this endeavor yet. Details would be forthcoming if announced. I'm only seeking possible help to turn it into a doable plan. PART B help and ideas are needed for now. This endeavor is just to big for me alone to take on. Together we can make a lot of children happy and give those helping something to rally around, fill and deliver for a great Christmas 2025. Let's do this as a TreasureNet group.

Please post here with any ideas or possible help toward this and follow thread for updates. Or PM me for now. Thanks, Brad Lewis

As Brad has said, this thread, the idea and the purpose has been approved by owners of website.

Awesome idea, but as you say, logistically difficult.

Shipping out 200 of those boxes will require a semi, or several trips with a box truck. A big van or box truck might be better if they are going to various locations. If you're going to ship them all to a single distribution point, and if the driver will haul it at no profit, a semi will cost you around $1.00 a mile.

Might be some TNetters in your area that would help make the deliveries.

I would get in touch with your contacts at the PD, as no doubt they know of and/or participate in toy giveaways involving other departments. They (PD) should be able to make contact with the donation groups at other PD's around the country, or worst case, direct you to the right person to talk with.

Only thing I can offer is my advice, as I'm too far away to be of any help.

Awesome idea, but as you say, logistically difficult.

Shipping out 200 of those boxes will require a semi, or several trips with a box truck. A big van or box truck might be better if they are going to various locations. If you're going to ship them all to a single distribution point, and if the driver will haul it at no profit, a semi will cost you around $1.00 a mile.

Might be some TNetters in your area that would help make the deliveries.

I would get in touch with your contacts at the PD, as no doubt they know of and/or participate in toy giveaways involving other departments. They (PD) should be able to make contact with the donation groups at other PD's around the country, or worst case, direct you to the right person to talk with.

Only thing I can offer is my advice, as I'm too far away to be of any help.
It is Dizzy logistically difficult to think through. I 100% appreciate T-Net management in supporting this. But it's an idea with no plan on Part B from original post. Hence the thread and request. It does no good to raise the money, build them and not the logistics figured out with a plan.

I am very good at what I do here. And I believe I could hold up my end of it (with some help). But I can't in good conscience run a fund drive, build them and not complete the mission. I don't want to make a penny off this... I just want to see if we as a group can do a one-time huge endeavor like this.... as I have done around here for 8 years.

I did contact Chief Deb Faulkner of the Franklin TN. PD. She's taken these toy boxes going on 8 years now. She's found needy families, filled them and delivered them. And my community has also. They use various services to find the families thru schools, social services and other means. She said she believes any PD or Sheriffs Dept in effected area would be willing to help or bring help to the cause. She also said a guy by the name of Chris Whitney who started ONE GENERATION has been helping a lot of families in effected areas and might have some contacts. But their got to be many other groups or organizations who would love to have those toy boxes to fill and deliver for children.

But I know I wouldn't be able to do both parts of this endeavor without another leader(s) stepping up to help. I don't mind helping with PART B but my expertise lies in PART A. And Dizzy advise and/or constructive ideas is what I'm seeking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back