Trigger Guard Assembly?

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 063.jpg
    Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 063.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 062.jpg
    Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 062.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 507
  • Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 061.jpg
    Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 061.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 064.jpg
    Claudia\'s Finds, Christmas 2011 064.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 547
Nice find. Thats the gun grip part. The trigger guard is broken off.

Upvote 0
Looks like it may be from an 1851 Colt Revolver

Upvote 0
I was just going to say that.

Attachments

• Colt_Navy 1851resize.jpg
    Colt_Navy 1851resize.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • colt replica numbers.jpg
    colt replica numbers.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 906
  • Colt_Navy 1851resize.jpg
    Colt_Navy 1851resize.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 740
  • colt replica numbers.jpg
    colt replica numbers.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 753
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Thank you so much for identifying this for me with such a great detailed picture. I will print this and go out tomorrow and try to find some of the other parts. Wow. Can't wait. Might be at the neighbors.. Ha ha. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
California Girl said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Thank you so much for identifying this for me with such a great detailed picture. I will print this and go out tomorrow and try to find some of the other parts. Wow. Can't wait. Might be at the neighbors.. Ha ha. Thanks again.
The rest of the parts may be rusted steel. Your backstrap/trigger guard is brass.

Upvote 0
creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Nice substantiating pic, BC! That shows it very well! :thumbsup:
I suspected what it was immediately because they have been posted here before but I was searching for a diagram when you beat me to it.. :D Good ID. :thumbsup:

There are however several different models with different trigger guards. (Some rounded some squareish) We may not be able to further ID it because the trigger guard is broken off.

You may be able to further ID the date of manufacture by the serial number 21476. For a fee, Colt may be able to tell you the owner.

Upvote 0
Here is the link (click on single action revolver) but we dont know what model it is because the trigger guard is broken. It may not be the 1851 Navy but its a Colt Im pretty sure. We need someone more versed with Colt trigger guards and backstraps than I. :D http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

Upvote 0
Great find!!!Out of hundreds of gun parts dug around these parts the Colts are the rarest.A man could buy 10 Pepperbox's for one Colt

Upvote 0
Yes a Colt, but not necessarily an 1851. Some of the models would be identical, most would be very similar. You may be able to narrow it down by taking careful measurements and comparing to originals, but chances are you will have to be satisfied with knowing it is to an unknown model percussion Colt revolver. You can check serial numbers online to find year of production, but you would need to know what model it came from first.

Upvote 0
l.cutler said:
Yes a Colt, but not necessarily an 1851. Some of the models would be identical, most would be very similar. You may be able to narrow it down by taking careful measurements and comparing to originals, but chances are you will have to be satisfied with knowing it is to an unknown model percussion Colt revolver. You can check serial numbers online to find year of production, but you would need to know what model it came from first.

My thoughts were that production on this line spanned about 23 years, so the possibility/probability is good that this is from one of them. However, it could be from another model, too, as you say. It would be fun to know.

Upvote 0
l.cutler said:
Thanks. Thats the point I was trying to say. We dont know the model. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back