Travel Channel documentary about Swift

No Doubt many have and many covered by water. I know for a fact many was covered when Paintsville lake was made. And some destroyed by road construction.

I agree. I was through Benge’s Gap yesterday. The road construction through there most likely destroyed any historical markers and possibly covered any when the area was blasted and cut the roadbed through.

There was a J.S. carving at the mouth of Rock House destroyed when they built the section of 460 between Paintsville and Salyersville. I know for fact.

There was a J.S. carving at the mouth of Rock House destroyed when they built the section of 460 between Paintsville and Salyersville. I know for fact.

Ok, so.. At the intersection?

Question for me is, how many of these Swift carvings are genuine and how many are done to mislead people. Most of the journal mentions of carvings is on trees, very few in rock. I've been told there is a creek in Bell Co. with fifty or more Swifts carved in stone... to me that is annoying, especially when one is trying to get down to the facts of the legend.

I have also heard of markings being destroyed. I guess to keep others from finding the treasure.

Question for me is, how many of these Swift carvings are genuine and how many are done to mislead people. Most of the journal mentions of carvings is on trees, very few in rock. I've been told there is a creek in Bell Co. with fifty or more Swifts carved in stone... to me that is annoying, especially when one is trying to get down to the facts of the legend.

This carving lines up with a piece of property the guy at Prestonsburg spoke of Swift owning, so by that I'm figuring it was a marker at one of the corners of the property.

Last edited:
There was many turkey tract carved up Paint Creek, A crane , an Indian with a bow drawn ready to fire. and several other carvings. All covered by water now. There was a natural bridge up in the head of Paint that collapsed during the New Madrid quake of 1811/12 I have heard.

Last edited:

Just went through there this afternoon, I am in WV with my wife visiting some of her family. Looks like they are widening the Mt Pkwy too, lots of fresh cuts through the mountains there. Never been through Kermit until today.

This carving lines up with a piece of property the guy at Prestonsburg spoke of Swift owning, so by that I'm figuring it was a marker at one of the corners of the property.

Yea, many surveys were done with landmarks, creek intersections and a rock carving could also have been used.

The new series will air around August. Stay tuned we found silver!!!

Rebel,

I was out in the country side on a very secluded farmers land (had permission) a guy stopped and asked what I was doing, I told him treasure hunting for the Swift mines, he laughed and said within 5 miles his dad/grandpa had found several of swifts carvings and had destroyed them (after making a copy for himself), the dad/grandpa died and his stuff was burnt. The problem is the guy never found anything lese...and some one else could have found that the orientation of the carvings meant something. or the meaning was totally different than that guys treasure sign education could have told him..what a waste!

That's sad, Any defacing is bad, ones I dislike the most is ppl spray painting rock faces. Came across that a time or to.

Rebel,

I was out in the country side on a very secluded farmers land (had permission) a guy stopped and asked what I was doing, I told him treasure hunting for the Swift mines, he laughed and said within 5 miles his dad/grandpa had found several of swifts carvings and had destroyed them (after making a copy for himself), the dad/grandpa died and his stuff was burnt. The problem is the guy never found anything lese...and some one else could have found that the orientation of the carvings meant something. or the meaning was totally different than that guys treasure sign education could have told him..what a waste!

You just never know if what they ruined was authentic or a distraction from the past to throw people off. I would even guess some would make false carvings to help sell their land back in the day?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back