Todays moral/detecting question...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today's moral/detecting question...

You find an item, say a ring that you know can be returned to someone with certainty of ownership if you put in just a bit of research. Interested if people's morals shift depending on value. Do you...

(Be honest!)
1) Keep it no matter what
2) Return it no matter what
3) Return if it's worth less than $100
4) Return if it's worth less than $300
5) Return if it's worth less than $600
6) Return if it's worth less than $800
7) Return if it's worth less than $1000
8) Name the price cut off at which your would or would not return if higher than $1000

Upvote 0
Re: Today's moral/detecting question...

If it had a unique or uncommon name i would try. If it had a name like John Smith or something like that, i wouldnt bother no matter what it was worth.

ummmmm...well..... ok i would keep no matter what1!!! :-[ :-[ :-\ :-X =) :D HH CoinS

Thats a good question... The jury is still out? ;D
In my case it would make a great deal of difference if I thought it was something that might have a sentimental value...

Ok, coinsaver, you can be dishonest and at least say you'd try to return it with a worth of $100 or less. :-) Actually, I think there are lots of people who would just keep it either way since they are the ones putting in the time and effort and I'm not making a moral judgement either way. I'd say anyone who says they'd return it no matter what would be hard pressed if they found something worth 50K or 100K, that's why I am so interested in people's view of this subject.

My Delemma would start at around $300.00. Below that I'd return, on the hopes of a reward. over that ???? I'd Probably think about what I could do with the extra bucks. HONESTLY CAN'T SAY FOR SHURE THO. so far the Rings I'v found, valued over $300.00 have been Diamond rings, with no initials. the first 2 I sold without thinking twice. the one I still have. I'm still trying to get at least 3 for it. as 2 Jewlers said it would appraise at, at least $700.00 & that I shouldn't sell for less then 3. <> GOOD QUESTION BERGIE, I'm looking forward to the responses

I would make an honest attempt to return it. More so if it was valuable not less! I would be tempted to keep a cheaper ring than an expensive one, They are just trophy's to me anyway I have never sold one. Cladius.

I guess I better answer my own question. I'd say starting around $800 it would get tough and I'd probably crack at $1000 or so (but I'd feel guilty as hell at any amount knowing how nice it would be to give something back and for the person to get it back).

Depends on rather I need the money to pay bills or not.

found a high school class ring from 1983, the other day in my home town....down about 6 inches around a playground.....just so happens my detecting partner knew the owner whose name was inscribed in the band. found her in the phone book, called her up and boy was she excited.....her son had lost it 8 years ago while playing with it....anyway....i was happy to return it to her... third ring returned in the last year....happy huntin'

actually even class rings can be much harder to find owner than you think and I'm speaking from experience.
If I can locate the owner and the ring has some value - I will try to return it. This is esp. true of class rings.
However I believe many rings will never be returned because you will not find owner.

I don't put a dollar value on returning rings but would probably put more effort into locating the owner of a $10,000 ring versus a $100 ring. Where's your cutoff figure? I can't really say as I have never found a really valuable ring.

One thing to think about on high value rings - many are insured. So will the owner give you half of that insurance payout? *L* yeah I'm sure....
:)

I would return it if the person could identify it to the 'T'. That goes for anything that is traceable, even the matchbox cars some poor 6 year old lost in the sand. The thrill of the return can be better then the find.

Interesting question...I do have a 14k gold band that I found in a park with initials on it. It was the same depth as mid 70's coins, so it was lost about 30 years ago. It probably cost a few hundred new. Meltdown value of this ring is only about $40, so it's of little value to me. The problem is finding the person that fits those initials, and knowing he/she is telling the truth. I would be out advertisment costs, as well as time trying to get the original owner out of the woodwork. Bottom line...it's just not worth it to me. I'm not gonna pay to return that ring to anyone.

But for a highly valuable ring, it would be a pleasure to return it. Though it would be a let down to pull a beatiful diamond ring from the ground and see initials on it. :)

I would return if like you asked there was a "reasonable certainty" in the finding of the loser. I have returned items turned out to be stolen so you never really know the circumstances of a loss until contact is made. Returned items almost always turn into a reward, if not on the spot money, you will most likely get permission to hunt a new spot and sometimes hear stories which may lead to other treasures! You should give a business card or some other sort of your contact info to local insurance companies. Many of them will gladly offer to pay you a percentage of a valuable loss if you locate it rather than have to pay the full insured value and this can also lead to more and more sites. Charlie

one other point, which has been made but not Clearified is : Most Very Valuable Diamonds ( Not all tho) are Insured. in most of these cases, The Insurance has already been paid, and with the exception of sentimental value, it would legaly belong to the Insurance Company. or the Finder, since no-one actually knows which Insurance Company paid. of course IF their were a way to Definately ID the owner, it becomes a Moral thing. <> IF a person were to tell me they lost a Valuable Ring at a particular spot, and I was alone there when I found it, EVEN if it were a Half A Million Dollar Ring, I'd return it, without any thoughts. and IF they asked me what I want, my words would be EXACTLY the same as it's been for? $30.00 Class Rings "I Don't Charge for Finding Things, But IF you Know a OLD UNSEARCHED Property, You can get me into, I would Appreciate it" of course I rarely? refuse? rewards, when they are handed to me :)

if i "know it can be returned to someone with certainty of ownership" then it's returned regardless of its monetary value

I found a wallet underwater once. Been down there for quite a while yes siree. It had a solid gold police badge in it, and ID. It took awhile to find the guy, but it was a special commemorative thing he got for saving peoples lives or something. It was solid gold and HEAVY> He was very very pleased to get it back. Beleive me....I tortured my mind for a long while first before returning it. I also found two pillow cases one day filled with jewelry under the docks of a municipal pier. Yep.... lots of money there. I figured I would end up in jail if I hocked the stuff, so I gave it to the police. They were extremely happy to get that back. Turns out some rich ladies house was robbed. What a fool she was to have that much jewelry laying around. One pillow case was half full of jewelry, the other one in plastic bags and in a pillowcase were electronic stuff. It was trashed after being under there for so long and the bags deteriorated. The jewelry wasn't as torturous to give back as the gold badge, because I am sure the police had pictures and things of the jewelry passed out at different places. Next thing you know, I'm in prison for someone elses's crime. Sure woulda been nice though. Nope.... no rewards, the scum. :-[

To be perferctly honest, if the person wasn't right there to identify it then sorry to say it belongs to my wife!

It would depend on where I'm at. If I were back home in Tennessee I'd try to find the owner no matter what. If I found it where I'm living at here in Atlanta it's a no brainer I'd keep it no matter what since I don't like this town nor the people that live in it.

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back