Todays moral/detecting question...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today's moral/detecting question...

You find an item, say a ring that you know can be returned to someone with certainty of ownership if you put in just a bit of research. Interested if people's morals shift depending on value. Do you...

(Be honest!)
1) Keep it no matter what
2) Return it no matter what
3) Return if it's worth less than $100
4) Return if it's worth less than $300
5) Return if it's worth less than $600
6) Return if it's worth less than $800
7) Return if it's worth less than $1000
8) Name the price cut off at which your would or would not return if higher than $1000

Upvote 0
Re: Today's moral/detecting question...

yep finders keepers may parents always said you find something and no one is to be seen around its always yours!my brother found 20 dollars once when we were 8or 9 in a magizine rake at a store!in late 70s for us it was alot of money!even for the time too a candy bar was a quarter! smokes 50?75 cents!gas?anyway should he of given it to the clerk since they were babysitting the cash (had those jobs they suck)so he/she could return it to the owner "the goverment"or so the clerk could keep it and go buy an ounce of weed an beers after the shift insteed of returning it"to the owner"!come on use some judgment an if you have a conscience god bless otherwise its a cruel world outside your front door! please give some feed back! ?DEKALB33

If it was a class ring with names, I'd try, anything else wouldn't be worth the hassle of the effort. Just my opinion.

finders keepers...=) unless some woman came up to me and was like oooh I lost my great grandmothers wedding ring boo hoo... I would find it for her, but otherwise, I mean, I don't know=)

I've struggled with this question before and believe me you all say you would keep it (and I believe there are a good portion of you who would), but if it has some sort of I.D. on it, it's awful hard to not think about returning it. I have a ring sitting on my desk right now that I might have found the owners for. It is my very first 18Kt and Platinum ring worth about $350 in just metal value alone, but it has weird first names in it and an anniversary date. I think I have found the person who may have lost it. I feel bad keeping it, but have struggled with the idea that this is a valueable find also. I was talking to a treasure guy the other day and he said it was ridiculous of me to just give it back and "maybe" have them give me a reward. I have thought about this a ton and have decided to do this. I am going to find out first if this truly is the man's ring. Secondly, I will find out if they are still married. Third, I'll send it back. Fourth, I am going to mention to them that I could have just as easily turned it in to a pawn shop or sold it for $350 just in metal value alone, but decided that it obviously has more sentimental value to them to get it back. And I will put my return address and a note that "any donations out of gratitude are gratefully accepted". This is not asking for a reward, but at the same time, kind of specifies what value I put on the ring. I'm hoping it works. Of course, they could stiff me, in which case, I will most likely never again return a ring. All I can think of is how important that wedding ring might be to them. I was going to return it to them on Christmas, but time has gotten away from me, so I will try and contact the wife prior to their next anniversary date as this would make a killer gift back to her husband.
State law in California says that the minute you abandon a search for an item that is lost, it can be found by someone else and is officially their property .
If it was my wedding ring and someone found it, I would easily pay them the actual value of the gold, diamonds and stones. 8)

Good question. I work with the Manchester Police Department detective division and one of the things I do is recovery and return of stolen property. Needless to say, I do a lot of research. If I found something that was identifiable and I was able to locate that person, I would return it if possible only cuz I have to look at myself every morning! ;D

Knitter... I couldn't agree more... You have to be able to look at yourself and KNOW you made the right decision!! The right decision may not always be easy, but it's always RIGHT!!! >:(

I'm kind of surprised at some of the replies above... It's a sad world we live in for someone to be so greedy as to keep something just because they found it. Regardless of it's worth. I always held fellow detectorists in high regards when telling others about this hobby that I love so much. "Yeah, most metal detectorists are great people, and most would return property to it's owner if they could find them within reason." I guess I've been wrong all this time?? ? ?:-[

I found a mans diamnond ring that appraised at $5,000 several years ago at a very small park and it had no identifying marks on it. But I still paid to have an ad ran in our local newspaper. It cost me a whopping $10 for 10 days. Didn't empty my pockets, heck I find that much in clad in a weeks time, most of the time. And I can look at myself and at least know I tried to find the owner. I did what I thought was right. No one claimed the ring and I had it for several years. Times got hard and I sold it for the melt down value.

Another time, me and a friend were detecting a volleyball court. He found one of those Gold Nugget pendants that were so popular in the 1980's. A kid came up to us and described the pendant to a tee. The kid was about 12-13 yrs old. Kind of homely looking and he lived in some apartments that owned the volleyball court we were searching. Said his Dad had given it to him as a gift, before he died. (True? not for me to judge!) I told the kid, no, I hadn't found it, but if I did I would be glad to return it. My friend told him the same thing. After cleaning out the volleyball courts and leaving, my friend says "Dude, I had that thing in my pocket the whole time." and started laughing...I told him I wouldn't be detecting with him anymore, because I didn't appreciate his dishonesty. If he could lie outright like that, whats to say he wouldn't do something underhanded to me also? I haven't gone detecting with him since, nor do I plan to. And as far as I know, he has stopped detecting because he has no one to go with. I say good riddance, our hobby doesn't need those types.

For you people that would keep it no matter what... Think about this, if someone cut off your mothers finger to steal the ring that her grandmother gave her, and the thief lost it as he fled the crime scene. Wouldn't you want it returned to your poor mom if someone found it? I know thats a bit extreme as an example, but stranger things have happened.

So to answer your question bergie... YES, I would return anything I found if the owner could positively identify it as being his/hers... And just seeing them smile at the return of their property, is reward enough for me!! Brings up a another question also... In Texas, it is illegal to keep something that is considered "lost". And, unless the person purposely throws it away, it is considered lost. Is it legal to keep lost property where you all live??

So, next time you folks wonder why you can't get access to land, public OR private. Just remember, it's your behavior as displayed above why anti-detecting laws are made... I know I sure wouldn't want you detecting on my property... :o

I found a class ring three weeks ago at a high school the guys name was engraved in it. I call the school and they gave me his moms phone number I called her and ask if her son lost his class ring. She said that her son didn't telll her he had lost the ring.

She came to pick the ring up within the hour had the receipt in her hand and her ID that matched the last name on the ring.

I gave her the ring and she gave me 20 bucks she told me that it was going to be placed under the x-mas tree this year for him to open I wish I was going to be there to see his face.

I also found a gold wedding band that had the wedding date and initails of the bride and groom and the place whrere they bought it.

I called the jewlery store and they told me that they don't keep the record.? what a shame!

Onion

I actually think this is a very easy question. If there is a way to identify the owner, then sure I would take the time to find and return the item.

If on the other hand there was no way to identify the owner (even if there were just initials on the ring) I would keep the item.

Yes! I think that being honest is the best way to be, because it is those who cheat and not at least try to find the owner that will ruin it for those who do try to find the owner.I went detecting in a park on a beach and found at least 20 hot wheel cars...The ones that are collectable...I gave it to the entry gate person because they could find the owner or give them out to kids as a gift. I could never walk out of there with those toys, because I would feel gilty as ever.Thats like stealing!This left a good impression and if they evr needed help they may look to me in the future and that really feels good.I also told them I found many empty 20 gage bullet shells and they should tell people not to bring guns ect...into the park! They noted that as a future reminder at the gates.

do unto others as you would have them do to you.... have you ever lost anything?
majik

onionhead said:
I found a class ring three weeks ago at a high school the guys name was engraved in it. I call the school and they gave me his moms phone number I called her and ask if her son lost his class ring. She said that her son didn't telll her he had lost the ring.

She came to pick the ring up within the hour had the receipt in her hand and her ID that matched the last name on the ring.

I gave her the ring and she gave me 20 bucks she told me that it was going to be placed under the x-mas tree this year for him to open I wish I was going to be there to see his face.

I also found a gold wedding band that had the wedding date and initails of the bride and groom and the place whrere they bought it.

I called the jewlery store and they told me that they don't keep the record. what a shame!

Onion

Onion, If you still have that wedding band -- a quick trip to the courthouse (providing they got married there) should help. Since you have the date that should get you in the right area, and then you just need to match names to the initials.

Neat story about the class ring under the Christmas tree!

I haven't been blessed with finding anything of any value or significance yet... But I've always liked playing detective!! So I'm looking forward to that!

Garrett

Simple, plan on returning it, but take your time tracking the owner! ;D

Honestly, no matter the value, I would give to an owner if ownership was proved.

True story, when I lived in Spain I found a lot of gold stuff from the beaches, rings, chains, earrings, so forth...
I had a jeweler who I took my finds to to sell or get a value, or to create new stuff out of old.. so to speak..
Well I found a real nice gold earring on the beach... (you never find a pair right ? ) so I took it to my jeweler to convert it
to a handmade gold ring......
(take a wedding band and earring and combine them to make a one of a kind gold ring...)
and he looks at this earring, and says that he has a client who came in to have a new one made
after losing the other at the beach, on such n such beach, looks just like the one I had...
He said he could either return it to his client, or convert it to a ring like I was asking...
What do you think I did... ????

drum rollllllll please.......

Oh well...
made my mother real happy to get that new ring for Christmas that year...

Once again I'm with Golddigger on this. I have lots of unreturned jewelry that is uninscribed and no "lost and found" articles were around when I recovered them. But the couple items I have successfullyt recovered for others or returned to their original owners are what really make treasure hunting fun. I will say it seems there is more of an impetus to return a high dollar item since the monetary reward if any sould be higher but that's icing.

Sandman and I are going to live and eat with each other forever. (Well, for his sake, maybe next door or up the street :D )
"Love your neighbor as yourself".

If the owner was actually findable, I have done what Sandman has spoken of for years; even to paying the expence to do it, and I'll tell you, it is a most blessed life, and the doors that open and what can happen from doing such a thing is totally and absolutely unlimited.

So who's much richer and better off in the world, and in character, us whom do the above if the person is actually for some reason findable.

Only class rings and then only from schools in my area that I'm familiar with. If for example says Washington or Lincoln High, how many are there around in the country, if say a diam. ring of 1 ct+ would read the lost/found section of paper but would not put in ad. Have returned couple of class rings, got reward for one, got the letters F.O. on the other-hope to find that ring again so I can keep it. ;D >:(

How could you not? just the look on the owners face would be a treasure in it self! and the run down would be just as rewarding.

What a thought provoking question. I'm glad you asked since I haven't found one that could be ID'd. I hadn't really considered it. If it could be determined who it was AND they were alive, I would return it. If not, I really agree with the others about the insurance part and would keep it for the kids college fund.

Bravo Treasurenetters. For the honesty on both sides of this coin. Although I think some of the "KeepIt's" would probably change their minds given the opportunity. I've not recovered a ring of that magnitude yet, but I have found other things of considerable value and much more easily traced, (Wallets complete with ID) and returned them. I can't believe that any of you wouldn't do the same, given the ease of locating the owner. I in fact lost a wallet with considerable cash in it while riding an ATV one summer. Got a call 3 months later from a nurse that said her and her boyfriend had found it and couldn't believe where. I couldn't either because I was in "Back Country"! When I got the wallet back it had been partially eaten by some critters but the money was still in it. She said she had borrowed a $20 to buy a bottle of wine and would repay it when she got paid. You can't imagine what that felt like. I was honored to meet this person. I gave her another $60 and thanked her for her honesty. In the case of a ring, I have given this considerable thought since joining this forum and reading several of my new-found hero's posts. Tracing an owner has got to be just as much of a treasure hunt as researching a lost mine or some old misers cache. Researching successfully, against the odds, & putting something long lost in the hands of the owner has got to be a rush! No less than finding a cache. Add to that the feeling of doing the right thing and the karma that you just accumulated and I think the more admirable amongst us would turn down the reward. Of course they may still ask, "Do you know anybody that has an old property I could search with my metal detector?" ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back