Today’s Finds xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Another glorious day today… forecast was for rain and storms 🤔 xx. Went back to the fields we were in last Saturday… very quiet today, walked miles 😅, not even very much lead to keep me amused! xx but being lost in the fields is still far better than anything else! xx

Nice little buckle to start you off, then a strange ‘nail’ , casket key, a lever, one of those loops we always find, decorative bits, corset bits, pretty lead button, what I’m calling a stylus, complete crotal bell, I love cleaning these, something very satisfying about getting all the mud out with my cocktail stick, 😆.. buttons, toasted pre dec, and my star find, a Indian Bengal Presidency One Pie coin 1831-1835 …. Now obviously I thought it was a token for a pie when I saw One Pie 😂😂 but a strange find for our little field in Leicestershire! xx

Tomoz we are back out on the Roman Road fields, hopefully, it’s bucketing with rain here now tho 🤨 xx

IMG_5991.jpeg
IMG_5992.jpeg
IMG_5993.jpeg
IMG_5994.jpeg
IMG_5995.jpeg
IMG_5996.jpeg
IMG_5997.jpeg
IMG_5998.jpeg
IMG_5999.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6002.jpeg
IMG_6007.jpeg
IMG_6003.jpeg
IMG_6006.jpeg
IMG_6005.jpeg
IMG_6008.jpeg
IMG_6009.jpeg
IMG_5986.jpeg
IMG_5985.jpeg
IMG_5988.jpeg

Upvote 20
That casket key is way cool! My imagination runs away, here’s my theoretical synopsis:
Poor folks often had less casket “bling”, locks, brass handles etc. Their caskets were often nailed closed.
Casket key = casket lock = $$
Lady Jane Grey was from Leicestershire. I’ll declare a family tie to your key, via her family!
LOL, I’m full of pudding, but it makes a good story. Congrats on a cool item.❤️

Another glorious day today… forecast was for rain and storms 🤔 xx. Went back to the fields we were in last Saturday… very quiet today, walked miles 😅, not even very much lead to keep me amused! xx but being lost in the fields is still far better than anything else! xx

Nice little buckle to start you off, then a strange ‘nail’ , casket key, a lever, one of those loops we always find, decorative bits, corset bits, pretty lead button, what I’m calling a stylus, complete crotal bell, I love cleaning these, something very satisfying about getting all the mud out with my cocktail stick, 😆.. buttons, toasted pre dec, and my star find, a Indian Bengal Presidency One Pie coin 1831-1835 …. Now obviously I thought it was a token for a pie when I saw One Pie 😂😂 but a strange find for our little field in Leicestershire! xx

Tomoz we are back out on the Roman Road fields, hopefully, it’s bucketing with rain here now tho 🤨 xx

View attachment 2170301View attachment 2170302View attachment 2170303View attachment 2170304View attachment 2170305View attachment 2170306View attachment 2170307View attachment 2170308View attachment 2170309View attachment 2170310View attachment 2170311View attachment 2170312View attachment 2170313View attachment 2170314View attachment 2170315View attachment 2170316View attachment 2170317View attachment 2170318View attachment 2170319View attachment 2170320
amazing finds!!! very old my favorite is the bell. most of them are hand forged ! love it deff 18th century !

blossom, awesome hunt. Jealous again, as always.

''strange ‘nail’''

I assume you mean the bronze pin like object with the red enamel insert?

I'm a 100% sure its Roman or Romano-Celtic in origin. I have found several of them on Roman Rural Homestead Site. They must have a practical function, but I've found no published comparisons. They are a mystery to me, but remind me of a mini lynch pin, but if this peg like object went into a hole, not sure where the hole was? On furniture?

''strange ‘nail’''

I assume you mean the bronze pin like object with the red enamel insert?

I'm a 100% sure its Roman or Romano-Celtic in origin. I have found several of them on Roman Rural Homestead Site. They must have a practical function, but I've found no published comparisons. They are a mystery to me, but remind me of a mini lynch pin, but if this peg like object went into a hole, not sure where the hole was? On furniture?
…. And this is why i love you Crusader 😆.. i found it near where i found the Fibula last week.. and i thought it feels possibly Roman… but i never like to say such things out loud!! 😂 xx thank you xx 🤗

NIce! So, you left the gold coin(s) for me? How thoughtful of you! I'll be out ravaging your fields starting this Wednesday.....well, maybe not YOUR fields..... :laughing7:

NIce! So, you left the gold coin(s) for me? How thoughtful of you! I'll be out ravaging your fields starting this Wednesday.....well, maybe not YOUR fields..... :laughing7:
Ha!!! Ahh enjoy ur visit.. the weather next week is not good ‘down south’ .. bring ur wellies 😆 xx look forward to seeing ur finds!! xx

I'll be out east in the Colchester area, but, yes, my full rain suit is going in the suitcase. I can pretty much guarantee lead and buttons as you well know, but, beyond that, it's always a gamble. I hope the rain will weather down the freshly plowed fields a bit without making them a total quagmire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back