Today's American Coins

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 8
this was the best design.... simple.... just a bust of Liberty, with an iconic eagle reverse.
1718389329473.png
1718389342674.png

I've been throwing all the pre-82 pennies that end up in my pocket over my back fence that has a green belt with tall grass behind my yard for years now. I couldn't tell you how many zincolns are all over out there now. If only I'd of listening to my friends dad who told us we need to start hording all those pre 64 dimes, quarters and half dollars that were still regularly handed back in change when I was 12 years old in 1968. I didn't do what he suggested. I spent it all as fast as I got them.

I'm waiting until I accumulate 50, so I can roll them up and take them to the bank for exchange.

Then if they complain, I can tell them to talk to the manufacturer! :laughing7:
Has anybody tried running them through a coin star? Are they kicked back out?

Has anybody tried running them through a coin star? Are they kicked back out?
I've never used a coinstar, but I think it would depend on the condition. Any coin that's too corroded would likely be spit back out.

As long as the corrosion is just surface scuzz and not making the coin thicker, or, the coin is not missing any chunks, it will usually go through the CoinStar. As is the case with machines and how they are adjusted, not all CoinStar machines will accept or reject a particular coin. Even the same machine will sometimes accept a coin if you run it through more than once. A lot will depend on how fast you feed the machine, and which slot the coin hits. It's also dependent on the weight.

Reactions: Ism
As long as the corrosion is just surface scuzz and not making the coin thicker, or, the coin is not missing any chunks, it will usually go through the CoinStar. As is the case with machines and how they are adjusted, not all CoinStar machines will accept or reject a particular coin. Even the same machine will sometimes accept a coin if you run it through more than once. A lot will depend on how fast you feed the machine, and which slot the coin hits. It's also dependent on the weight.
If I remember, I will give it a try at my local grocery store that has one. I tried returning to my bank and they said they couldn't accept them. They must be sent back to the govt (can't remember which agency). That's ridiculous as it would cost more in shipping than they are worth.

If I remember, I will give it a try at my local grocery store that has one. I tried returning to my bank and they said they couldn't accept them. They must be sent back to the govt (can't remember which agency). That's ridiculous as it would cost more in shipping than they are worth.
Was it a commercial bank?

“Unfit currency' is currency which is unfit for further circulation because of its physical condition such as torn, dirty, limp, worn or defaced,” the department states on its website. The currency “may be exchanged at commercial banks.”Oct 20, 2023
Whether they'll actually do it... :dontknow:

Currency is paper money, not coins....

Currency is paper money, not coins....
I checked the definition from several sources. All were inclusive of coinage.
Currency is physical money in an economy, comprising the coins and paper notes in circulation.

Last edited:
I guess I live in my own coin collecting world where we divide the two.

"paper currency"

Let's not get started on how mundane our notes have become.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back