Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found "NOT ONE CENT"

Across the dirt Rd from one of my foundation sites is a large wooded area that Im guessing was once used for farming. Spent about 3 hrs poking around mostly digging parts of plows and nails.
Was lucky enough to get this Hard Times Token under my coil, My research tells me its A 1837.

It features the Merchant's Exchange building on Wall Street in New York City on the obverse. The building burnt in the Great New York Fire of 1835. The fire destroyed close to 650 shops and is estimated to have caused over $18,000,000 in damage. This building is featured on at least four different varieties of Hard Times Tokens

The reverse features the saying "MILLIONS FOR DEFENCE, NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE". It resembles the reverse of the large cent in circulation at the time. The "NOT ONE CENT" is said to have been featured prominently in order to avoid charges of counterfeiting. This phrase is featured on the reverse of many different varieties of Hard Times Tokens with various obverse designs.

Attachments

• 100_1617.JPG
    100_1617.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,395
  • 100_1618.JPG
    100_1618.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,390
  • 1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_obv.jpg
    1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_obv.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,432
  • 1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_rev.jpg
    1837_ny_ht293_ngc_ms64bn_rev.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,420
Upvote 0
Re: Today I found "NOT ONE CENT"

prolab69 said:
Closer inspection shows that the F is in fact there, just a little worn off. I had no idea this would be such a "hot topic" Ive found a few tokens over the years, this being my 2nd hard times token, I found two others that are agricultural related of the same composition. My other hard times is the 1837 groceries token with curved writing on both sides, I wish I could find more of these. In 2 weeks once my bills are paid im going to invest in a shooters coil to hit all my foundation sites again with. I have over 60 foundation sites that keep me busy all season long. These sites have been hit hard before Ive even known they existed and Im quite surprised at the goodies ive pulled from them in the past 3 years of hunting them. Much thanks to everyones reply and info :hello:
Pro-
Thanks for the confirmation on the F, prolab69.

Can you see on your original photo a C located just under and to the left of O in ONE?

Can you see on your original photo a C located just under and to the left of O in ONE?
[/quote]

That could be my photography skills, I never cleaned this coin because im really not sure of its value, Just
a run under the sink with water, and streight to A plastic folder, so some of the fine dirt is still remaining.
heres A few more close ups. Kinda hard to get a good detailed shot of it.
Thanks,
Pro-

Attachments

• 100_1625.JPG
    100_1625.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_1621.JPG
    100_1621.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 435

Neat token.....guess its not worth anything :laughing7:

7creeks said:
Neat token.....guess its not worth anything :laughing7:

Well.. :icon_scratch: Its worth more than a silver dime and its rarer than a Large Cent. :icon_thumleft: So its a darn good find !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

prolab69 said:

That could be my photography skills, I never cleaned this coin because im really not sure of its value, Just
a run under the sink with water, and streight to A plastic folder, so some of the fine dirt is still remaining.
heres A few more close ups. Kinda hard to get a good detailed shot of it.
Thanks,
Pro-
[/quote]
Your photography skills look to be as good as mine. I think it's pretty clear. But in the photo you just posted, do you notice that the F in FOR is less defined than the E in TRIBUTE? The C, btw, is below and left of ONE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back