Tin Mustard Pot

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I found this a couple days ago, it took me a few days to get it into presentable condition for a photo. I found it in my current favorite place, the pit where the underground garage is being made. Comparing my favorite places to Cru's can't really be done. Sometimes we only have one day or a few hours when we can search building sites. Sometimes weeks, sometimes only a weekend. Most of the time for a normal building site, after about 50cm of dirt is removed the trucks come with sand the same day and dump it into the pit. So some times we also have 0 hours to search. Pity that we can't search year after year like Cru.

It is a mustard pot but is somewhat smaller than my first one which I found a few years ago, so it could have been a children's toy. It has its bumps and dents, but because its hard tin, not soft tin, it will be too hard to restore. You cannot bend it very easy and have to use heat at a specific temperature which I don't want to try. Have done a little work on it, but will stop before I go too far. But still very happy to have another in my collection!

The size of the pot is 3" x 2.5". It has a tin seal of quality on it, a rose, with the letters RB with a crown above the rose. This object was made especially for RB, that is his house mark. Had to be a rich guy! For the rest the tin is in good shape, no tin disease on it at all. I know it does not look like much, but try to find one yourself! This is my 2nd, the first was a real Mustard Pot, that was about 5" high.

Attachments

• Mustard Pot mark_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot mark_resize.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Mustard Pot 2_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot 2_resize.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 767
  • Mustard Pot 1_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot 1_resize.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 752
Upvote 8
Very nice! I sure like it!....and it's amazing that the lid is still there!
Any idea of age?
HH! Dale

That has a lot of character 8) When are you going to start using it :thumbsup:

Nice find, Mustard french seed or english?

tinpan

Wow, very nice pot. I am also very interested to know how old it is. I see you are from the Netherlands. I would love to hunt there. I look forward to see more of your finds. Thanks for sharing your nice find with us.

DANGLANGLEY

The Bulgarian said:
Awesome find my friend.WTG. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, your way to go had me for a while! But found it....
BTW do you have a reason to call yourself "The Bulgarian"? Was to Bulgaria only once, did not detect there, but just across the border.

Ia.FurTrade said:
Any idea of age?
HH! Dale
Yea, the most thing like this that you find, the lid is gone, so that was amazing. I guess that could be that the most were broken before being thrown away, just like the most dishes and other ceramic goods that are found, the glue back then was not good enough to allow ceramics to be used with water I guess.

I am still waiting for a good age determination, will post that when I know. Myself I think the 18th century, but could be a century later also.

DANGLANGLEY said:
Wow, very nice pot. I am also very interested to know how old it is. I see you are from the Netherlands. I would love to hunt there. I look forward to see more of your finds. Thanks for sharing your nice find with us.
DANGLANGLEY
Most good finds are deep in the ground here where I live, because of the composition of the earth. Its very soft and wet. All building here have to have concrete piles slammed into the ground, after about 4 meters they just sink down to a hard sand bottom (most of NL is just a river mouth). So its hard to find old things, they are deep in the ground...

lovely find woody, looks very old :thumbsup:

Wow, super cool find! :thumbsup:

Steve

tinpan said:
Nice find, Mustard french seed or english?
tinpan
Yea, that is the question!

Ia.FurTrade said:
Any idea of age?
HH! Dale
Talked with an expert, it is 18th century, so not so old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back