Tin Mustard Pot

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I found this a couple days ago, it took me a few days to get it into presentable condition for a photo. I found it in my current favorite place, the pit where the underground garage is being made. Comparing my favorite places to Cru's can't really be done. Sometimes we only have one day or a few hours when we can search building sites. Sometimes weeks, sometimes only a weekend. Most of the time for a normal building site, after about 50cm of dirt is removed the trucks come with sand the same day and dump it into the pit. So some times we also have 0 hours to search. Pity that we can't search year after year like Cru.

It is a mustard pot but is somewhat smaller than my first one which I found a few years ago, so it could have been a children's toy. It has its bumps and dents, but because its hard tin, not soft tin, it will be too hard to restore. You cannot bend it very easy and have to use heat at a specific temperature which I don't want to try. Have done a little work on it, but will stop before I go too far. But still very happy to have another in my collection!

The size of the pot is 3" x 2.5". It has a tin seal of quality on it, a rose, with the letters RB with a crown above the rose. This object was made especially for RB, that is his house mark. Had to be a rich guy! For the rest the tin is in good shape, no tin disease on it at all. I know it does not look like much, but try to find one yourself! This is my 2nd, the first was a real Mustard Pot, that was about 5" high.

Attachments

• Mustard Pot mark_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot mark_resize.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Mustard Pot 2_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot 2_resize.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 767
  • Mustard Pot 1_resize.jpg
    Mustard Pot 1_resize.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 752
Upvote 8
That is an awesome piece to have found, I do not think I have ever seen something like that dug up by a detector. Congrats and HH, Mike

That is an Excellent find, Woody. I'd display that one proudly if it were in my collection.

Bravo.

:)

I Love Mustard......Want to sell it? ;D Seriously.....Pretty Cool Looking!!!!

Thanks all of you for you nice comments. Yes it is a unusal find, one that you (I think) would never find on a field....

Wow ! That's nice ! Looks like it should be in a museum !!!

Although I found this a couple days ago, it took me a few days to get it into presentable condition for a photo. I found it in my current favorite place, the pit where the underground garage is being made. Comparing my favorite places to Cru's can't really be done. Sometimes we only have one day or a few hours when we can search building sites. Sometimes weeks, sometimes only a weekend. Most of the time for a normal building site, after about 50cm of dirt is removed the trucks come with sand the same day and dump it into the pit. So some times we also have 0 hours to search. Pity that we can't search year after year like Cru.

It is a mustard pot but is somewhat smaller than my first one which I found a few years ago, so it could have been a children's toy. It has its bumps and dents, but because its hard tin, not soft tin, it will be too hard to restore. You cannot bend it very easy and have to use heat at a specific temperature which I don't want to try. Have done a little work on it, but will stop before I go too far. But still very happy to have another in my collection!

The size of the pot is 3" x 2.5". It has a tin seal of quality on it, a rose, with the letters RB with a crown above the rose. This object was made especially for RB, that is his house mark. Had to be a rich guy! For the rest the tin is in good shape, no tin disease on it at all. I know it does not look like much, but try to find one yourself! This is my 2nd, the first was a real Mustard Pot, that was about 5" high.
I received a date for the pot a long time ago but forgot to post it. It is from the period 1600-1650.

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Cool & complete!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back