Time for a thimble show....

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I found this thimble over toward the middle of the summer. The place just looked right for doing something at. There was a stream, a tree, and this quiet stillness that started to awaken a awareness of a family in the area or friends sitting and socializing at the spot. I did a quick scan with my ace, and came up with a strong "iffy" signal at about eight inches down. Kept digging , carefully, and came up with this thimble...seems victorian, old, and I could just imagine a woman sitting in the place mending and sewing....children and the men in the river....picnic baskets around.
Add some of your thimbles that you have found to the thread.... lets see a show.

Attachments

• Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,421
Upvote 0
JerDfx said:
Thanks guys,

Yes I made some other finds. Some old coins from the turn of the century. I also found a nice gold millitary pin in those woods. Huge area to. I actually saw a family riding horses back there. Scared the hell out of me when 6 big horses roll up on you with your back turned and headphones on.

This was a very beautiful thimble. Alot of art work went into it. Boy it's really awesome out there when you find a piece of the past like that one. There are some other really nice one's on here to. They are hard to find in sterling.

I think those moments when we are so engrossed in doing our hobby and you look up to see something or somebody coming at you has made a heart skip a beat on quite a few of us.........

Your thimble is simply beautiful, as far as lack of sterling silver thimbles being found, well, I am not sure, but I think I read that besides them being more expensive to begin with that the people who actually used their thimbles preferred non silver for one simple reason. Silver thimbles would not always protect the finger from a puncture. Now maybe sterling silver does not apply, but I do remember reading that on one of the sites.

I know in the areas I hunt, to find silver thimbles is rather hard since it was mostly laborers homesteads that I hunt, they were probably too poor for something as nice as a silver thimble. :)

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back