Time for a thimble show....

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I found this thimble over toward the middle of the summer. The place just looked right for doing something at. There was a stream, a tree, and this quiet stillness that started to awaken a awareness of a family in the area or friends sitting and socializing at the spot. I did a quick scan with my ace, and came up with a strong "iffy" signal at about eight inches down. Kept digging , carefully, and came up with this thimble...seems victorian, old, and I could just imagine a woman sitting in the place mending and sewing....children and the men in the river....picnic baskets around.
Add some of your thimbles that you have found to the thread.... lets see a show.

Attachments

• Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,421
Upvote 0
I think that aside from finding your first "plated" or non-precious thimble, that finding your first silver thimble is really a joy. I can't believe the detail in the surfaces. They are tiny, but some of the thimbles seem to be rich in surface theme, and/or boarder decoration. The simplicity of the medieval thimbles seem to reveal their age, and are somewhat gothic in nature.
This is great, keep up the posting.... including those alternative thimbles... like the shot glass thimble!

Those are just awesome thimbles! Thanks for starting this thread Michellets :) And thanks everyone else for sharing as well ........

Here are 3 that I found. I think I have one or two more that are crushed up pretty bad. One of these was flattened, and I straightened it out a bit. Two of them are advertising thimbles (L&C SINCE 1903 and another that says INDUSTRIAL LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY, ATLANTA GA.) and one says RT and 5 in tiny print near the bottom. I think the advertising ones are aluminum or similar, and the other is more like pewter or something harder.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 518
I like the ones with the label for the company that gave it as a promotional. Any more thimbles with promotional slogans out there???

Over the years, I've found a few of these nice little trinkets, and each time it gives me a real thrill. Pictured are two of them. My best one, and my worst one. The best one is sterling silver, and quite intricate. The second one is probably from a Monopoly set and is a game piece. Just had to include it.

Enjoyed looking at others thimbles. HH all.

Attachments

• Thimbles 3.jpg
    Thimbles 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 468
  • Thimbles 2.jpg
    Thimbles 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 480
That last thimble almost looks art deco... nice relief in the design!

Michellets said:
I like the ones with the label for the company that gave it as a promotional. Any more thimbles with promotional slogans out there???
I don't have any from companies pushing their products, but do have several for political candidates. Maybe I'll dig a few out and take a couple of pictures and post them.

I'm almost embarrassed to post mine after seeing all the beauties above, but here are a few I just found recently.
-MM-

Attachments

• Thimbles.jpg
    Thimbles.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 454
  • Thimbles.jpg
    Thimbles.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 442
I think that the porcupines were gnawing on those last two..... anyone wanna show some more? What about those candidate/political thimbles? Anyone wanna post more? HH

Here is my one and only thimble in 3 years of digging ... dug it just a couple of weeks ago ~ Jimmy

Attachments

• Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 338
Go to ebay and search sterling thimbles. They are highly prized possessions. Love those thimbles.

My best thinmble found over the yrs. I have found a bunch but this is the nicest. I've got others in sterling and copper/brass.

This one was found about 2 yrs ago in a nice old set of woods near a park that goes back to the early 1890's.

HH Jer

Attachments

• Thimble scan 2.jpg
    Thimble scan 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 284
  • Thimble scan 1.jpg
    Thimble scan 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Thimble scan 1.jpg
    Thimble scan 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Thimble scan 2.jpg
    Thimble scan 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 290
Agreed that's a nice thimble. I went to the E-bay sight and checked out the thimbles posted there, it was pretty amazing. I think you can also learn a lot by looking at the "sterling thimble" search and postings there. I didn't see any that were the same as the first thimble posted here, but I did see some that were similar. Thanks for the tips...

Thanks guys,

Yes I made some other finds. Some old coins from the turn of the century. I also found a nice gold millitary pin in those woods. Huge area to. I actually saw a family riding horses back there. Scared the hell out of me when 6 big horses roll up on you with your back turned and headphones on.

This was a very beautiful thimble. Alot of art work went into it. Boy it's really awesome out there when you find a piece of the past like that one. There are some other really nice one's on here to. They are hard to find in sterling.

Take care guys,

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back