Time for a thimble show....

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I found this thimble over toward the middle of the summer. The place just looked right for doing something at. There was a stream, a tree, and this quiet stillness that started to awaken a awareness of a family in the area or friends sitting and socializing at the spot. I did a quick scan with my ace, and came up with a strong "iffy" signal at about eight inches down. Kept digging , carefully, and came up with this thimble...seems victorian, old, and I could just imagine a woman sitting in the place mending and sewing....children and the men in the river....picnic baskets around.
Add some of your thimbles that you have found to the thread.... lets see a show.

Attachments

• Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,421
Upvote 0
Here I have three thimbles, all found generally in the same area occupied by infantry souldiers late 1860s through late 1890s. All three are cheap-o tin (top) and brass (bottom) thimbles of different patterns and makes. You see the bottom-right hever had a top on it. There was very little domestic action in the area after the soldiers moved through so I am assuming they were not discarded by a lonely farmer's wife.

thimbles.JPG

That is a gorgeous thimble. It's such a tiny thing but I'm sure the owner was really unhappy to lose it. Imagine how many hours it was used and the woman who pushed it. Makes me nostalgic. Great find, I hope there are a lot of posters to this thread.

I found a thimble last summer on an old lot (no picture handy) and I had the same reaction. People usually don't buy thimbles unless they use them. So I had the same mental picture of someone making or repairing clothes for the family. Nice find.

1. - Medieval beehive including topless varieties
2. - Silver - Including a Rare broken Charles I 1620s
3. - Odds

I have had several hundred more but have given them away or stuck in a bucket of odds & sods. You find lots in UK fields as the workers used them to protect themselves from getting stabbed in between your nail with the straw. Thats why there are lots of kid sized ones.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,124
Nice thimbles everybody....The thimble that I posted at the top of the page is sterling, and is pretty ornate, I have no idea of the age, but it's old. The medieval thimbles that crusader posted are great, and the thimbles from the fort are really nice. Maybe they used some of the thimbles when they were stitching up a patient. BTW are/were there medical thimbles? Keep em posting.... HH Michelle!!

Nice ones, flat ones, sterling silver ones, aluminum ones but the favorite one is the FAREWELL THIMBLE

Don

Attachments

• Farewell Thimble.jpg
    Farewell Thimble.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 952
  • Farewell Thimble.jpg
    Farewell Thimble.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 935
  • Thimbles.jpg
    Thimbles.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 987
Had this nice Georgian silver thimble the other year.

Good hunting
Robert.

Attachments

• thimble silver.jpg
    thimble silver.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 911
wow... great thimbles, obviously some people have been collecting these for a while... keep up the great posts. There are different types of thimbles used for different tasks.. and then there's that Farewell thimble.... Beautiful! keep up the pictures and feel free to add some more photos!

My 2 thimbles worth.Both over 100 years old, Sterling silver found in the Western Australia goldfields...... ;)

Attachments

• Thimbles (798 x 500).jpg
    Thimbles (798 x 500).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 821
That Australian thimble is really beautiful!!!

Michellets said:
That Australian thimble is really beautiful!!!

I think they are both British. The right one is hallmarked Chester.

How cool! I have never found a thimble. Now I want one! Great job everyone.

I have found many over the years but this one is my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 691
I did not find this...it was my grandparents. "Just A Thimbleful" shot / measuring glass. Pretty funny...it's like a double (2 oz). Made in England...P.H. V & CO. I've thought about having it re-plated.

HH!
TBGO

Attachments

• Thimbleful.jpg
    Thimbleful.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 661
I didn't give thimbles much thought until I found one this summer. There are some real beauties in this thread; here's mine:

Attachments

• thimble (2) (Small).jpg
    thimble (2) (Small).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 660
...here is my contribution... 2 dug and one found in Moms stuff....

Attachments

• thimble.JPG
    thimble.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 607

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back