Thunderbird Effigy...Real or Myth?

fake or repro, and made to deceive...all the same and those t-birds are.

Arrow, I am being policed, not the police.

you said with the amount that were being “posted and found” you believed they were “All” fakes..... That call, even though a mere opinion (which seems to count big everywhere else on this forum), covered a lot of people’s actual artifacts.

Last edited:
My two cents I don’t think arrow was trying call everything a fake and specifically to anyone else’s post except this one. This thunderbird appears consistent with a repo. I saw your shell one and it’s an intriguing piece out of my realm but really cool. Anyway, best of luck to everyone out there.

My two cents I don’t think arrow was trying call everything a fake and specifically to anyone else’s post except this one. This thunderbird appears consistent with a repo. I saw your shell one and it’s an intriguing piece out of my realm but really cool. Anyway, best of luck to everyone out there.

Maybe wasn't trying, but he sure did.

Words and punctuation have meaning, and I pay attention to both.

Did we all miss something here or did you get up on the wrong side of the bed quito? This is not like you.

As to the recent artifacts posted,some may be from NW Indiana, many are not . Agree with the others that the animal effigies are most likely not ancient.

only time I have ever seen one has NOT been in the field.........all usually in shops, etc!!!

Did we all miss something here or did you get up on the wrong side of the bed quito? This is not like you.

As to the recent artifacts posted,some may be from NW Indiana, many are not . Agree with the others that the animal effigies are most likely not ancient.

I just get a little grumpy when I see my posts are being edited, and not made aware i broke some rule.

It is not a fake it a reproduction of a figure that has never been documented in archeological digs. Nice workmanship. Modern knapper must have been practicing.
Thanks for sharing. Your other points are the ones you want to learn about.
Good luck.

Last edited:
There are genuine, as in non-modern, such effigies, mostly confined to the northern plains area. Especially among the Mandan. Makes me wonder if our good friend Larson ever found any. Anyway, they are never knapped, but rather carved, and can be of shell, bone, or from non-knappable stones like catlinite or limestone. Illustrations show genuine examples:

Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com :: Topic: Thunderbird Effigies (Carved) (1/1)

5C6E4BFA-A555-458E-9F12-420DEF4F8263-304-00000024EE295421.jpeg

4E572455-5BD1-4F71-8BE3-87AD4F2F1653-304-0000002578EB8B74.jpeg

I have one that is authentic. It was passed down to me years ago. From Missouri...

eagle 1.jpg

I can't and won't give an opinion on the age or authenticity of the piece, but it definitely appears to be an effigy of some type of bird. That's a lot of pressure flaking all the way around to be an unfinished arrowhead. Looks like a crowing rooster or a singing bird. Cool change from the usual thunderbirds.

Treasure_Hunter: maybe not a thunderbird but an unfinished arrowhead? At over 3” long? Nothing about that says arrowhead.

I have one I found like it, it is unfinished and it is 3 inches long as well.

20190125_081317.jpg 20190125_081334.jpg Arrowhead 1 Cropped.jpg

Another one I found
20190125_081237.jpg 20190125_081519.jpg

Both found in mid Missouri.

Attachments

• 20190125_081334 (1).jpg
    20190125_081334 (1).jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190125_081334 (1).jpg
    20190125_081334 (1).jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Treasure_Hunter: maybe not a thunderbird but an unfinished arrowhead? At over 3” long? Nothing about that says arrowhead.

Hard to tell from the photos, but the object that you're referring to is not "over 3" long". The measuring tape is in both metric and English units, so it's 3cm or maybe 1.25".

And it's obviously a legendary Thunderchicken!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1548541975.165779.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1548541999.056255.jpg

Given to me by my uncle who lives in sd. He said it was given to him by a big collector who claimed it was real.
Ive always assumed it was modern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back