Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a firm believer in researching for the best possible locations. I have followed and lurked many of you on here and the ways you "find" great places to hunt....but I just give up!

Example 1: Found an old baseball field from mid 1800's, part is now a fire department and another part is a remodeled baseball diamond built in 1986. Old timer's I talked to explained where the old diamonds were and what was/wasn't disturbed during the changes. I hit the area "undisturbed" for hours and found a bunch of clad, a few wheats and 1 1950's toy. As I do many times I hit the area where I think there will be clad to justify to my wife why I took up this crazy hobby and out pops a Buffalo Nickel. (my first) just under the surface.

Example 2: Four corners of a major travel way between two cities, was it's own little town back in the day. Now a modern high school built in the 60's. (My high school years ago) Found old articles in the paper describing where/when/what was being done for construction on the school and decided to hit the "old" areas that had the big trees. A few zincolns and trash. Again, before leaving I head to the "new" section that has been done and re-done with landscaping, sod, football fields, etc. for some clad...Out pops a 1847 or 1857 (not sure yet, it is highly crusted) large cent! (my first as well)

If this keeps up I will continue to research areas and then cross the street to detect "for clad"!

All kidding aside, two firsts for me in the last week and loving the AT Pro.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Upvote 4
Congrats on your two firsts!:thumbsup: The largie must be 1847. 1857 would be a flying eagle cent.

A lot of MDing will make no sense.
Most of the Spanish silver I saw or knew of when I started this hobby (1983) came from schools that where so recent that nobody did them-except for the guy I knew. All from fill dirt.
That's just 1 example.
Nice finds.

A few years ago, I searched the beach on a windy day after the 4th of July. I found nothing but sparkler rods and a few clad. Frustrated and while leaving the area, 'across my bow', dancing by the wind on the sand was a waded up $5 bill. Go figure.....
Don.....

Great finds! Congrats on the firsts, and HH!

I think I must meet a half dozen new guys a week at one of the parks I detect. Seems we all have the same ideas as to where to go. So I search where we haven't to get the goodies. You can usually tell by the amount of garbage, and how many good hits you are getting if you found a nice area.I never find anything old, pre 1964 hardly, so I figure its all hype and while I make good finds. It just doesn't happen that much. Yep the place where I found the gold rings have gave me nothing but tin foil lately.

I think I must meet a half dozen new guys a week at one of the parks I detect. Seems we all have the same ideas as to where to go. So I search where we haven't to get the goodies. You can usually tell by the amount of garbage, and how many good hits you are getting if you found a nice area.I never find anything old, pre 1964 hardly, so I figure its all hype and while I make good finds. It just doesn't happen that much. Yep the place where I found the gold rings have gave me nothing but tin foil lately.
Thats crazy Casca, I detected 16 days in April, at 4 different parks, and ran into one guy with a detector. Guess its just not a big thing here, no stupid park rules, no, no detecting signs, most spots I hunt have very few people detecting

Like some have said sometimes it just makes no sense how that coin got there. Something you have to remember is where things are disturbed sometimes that very earth is just moved somewhere else and with it any treasure that was originally there. Don't give up on your research cause I really believe you will hit a good one someday. I know of a park by me that dates back to the late 1800's. So does every other MDer in the area. One fellow says he's found twenty one silver coins here. My last clue to where to find the good stuff came from two picture of this park. One of an old time baseball game with literally a hundred people sitting and standing around watching the game. The second photo was of a grand stand erected some 25 years later. I've found three rosie's 4 merc's a barber dime and a barber quarter from the areas of the grand stand and were everyone was congregated. This is not to mention several pounds of trash along with clad. When I hit a dry spell I go to the local ball fields and dig for clad just to remember what it suppose to sound like. Don't give up on the research, like I said you will hit it one day and you'll be glad you did.

It's called 'fill dirt'. From whence it came is difficult to know. But it can reap great rewards.

Last year I was hunting a school playground even though in the past it would barely give me a single modern quarter. I got a decent dime signal but out came from just under the surface what I thought to be a very crusty modern penny. At home when sorting my finds, I realized that this crusty penny was dime size and when I cleaned it I was astounded to find a seated dime. That's what I love about this hobby, you just can't tell what you are going to find.

I am a firm believer in researching for the best possible locations. I have followed and lurked many of you on here and the ways you "find" great places to hunt....but I just give up!

Example 1: Found an old baseball field from mid 1800's, part is now a fire department and another part is a remodeled baseball diamond built in 1986. Old timer's I talked to explained where the old diamonds were and what was/wasn't disturbed during the changes. I hit the area "undisturbed" for hours and found a bunch of clad, a few wheats and 1 1950's toy. As I do many times I hit the area where I think there will be clad to justify to my wife why I took up this crazy hobby and out pops a Buffalo Nickel. (my first) just under the surface.

Example 2: Four corners of a major travel way between two cities, was it's own little town back in the day. Now a modern high school built in the 60's. (My high school years ago) Found old articles in the paper describing where/when/what was being done for construction on the school and decided to hit the "old" areas that had the big trees. A few zincolns and trash. Again, before leaving I head to the "new" section that has been done and re-done with landscaping, sod, football fields, etc. for some clad...Out pops a 1847 or 1857 (not sure yet, it is highly crusted) large cent! (my first as well)

If this keeps up I will continue to research areas and then cross the street to detect "for clad"!

All kidding aside, two firsts for me in the last week and loving the AT Pro.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Your research is paying off just fine! You found old places and found old coins there. Nothing says any exact spot will produce cold finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back