Thoughts on this? Artifact?

solid2915

Greenie
Aug 17, 2023
IMG_1312.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg
IMG_1315.jpeg

Creek find. Not really sure that this is. Figured it might be worth posting. Rock or artifact?

Upvote 0
IMO, from what I see in pics provided, it is natural erosion. Look at the center of the rock, it is still rough, if it was used it would be smooth from use, no visible signs of any hammering, grinding, rubbing or use by man.

I loved walking creeks, walked Mo fields and creeks for 20 years.

I'm not much of an artifacter (new word?), but to be honest, to my eyes it looks like a regular rock as I don't see any evidence of it being worked.

Dizzy, looks like I was posting just ahead of you as you were writting. :laughing7:lol

It looks like tan chert to me.
I can’t see that it’s been worked by humans. Keep searching though.
I’ve found a lot of plain rocks vs artifacts. Diligent hunting is the key.

Another natural rock. If you aren’t finding flakes or tools try a different creek. Stay away from the rocks until you learn what to look for

Another natural rock. If you aren’t finding flakes or tools try a different creek. Stay away from the rocks until you learn what to look for
The place I’m searching is absolutely full of flakes. The rock bars are literally littered with flakes and pieces of flint and chert. I find a lot of actual artifacts there and it makes me start second guessing stuff like what I posted lol. Only been a hobby for a couple years now so still learning a lot.

I’d recommend picking up the flakes. They’ll burn an imagine in your memory. Look through this forum at all the different types of artifacts. When at the creek, look for items that resemble the forum-posted artifacts.
Points, blades, knives and scrapers should become more obvious to you.
Hammer stones can be difficult, as can be many pestles. Good luck!

The place I’m searching is absolutely full of flakes. The rock bars are literally littered with flakes and pieces of flint and chert. I find a lot of actual artifacts there and it makes me start second guessing stuff like what I posted lol. Only been a hobby for a couple years now so still learning a lot.
Show us the ones you have found. Might help us understand the time frame of what you might find. Also what state are you in?

Please post some of them so we can see. Also plese keep in mind creeks and streams produce natural flakes too..

Nature loves to play tricks on you. I've picked up many that I carry around while hunting pondering whether they could actually be something just to disgard them as I'm getting back in the truck. Better to take a close look anything that looks different than to miss things cause you didn't look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back