✅ SOLVED Thought this was a scale weight, but not sure.

Dr Plugs

May 30, 2023
Hi all, been a while since I've got to get out to detect. Been hard to find a field that was decent enough to work in.

Actually found a plowed and tilled field in a small, old town to swing in. Once we secured permission we hit it hard, the maps didn't show any homesites ect. But with the age of the town we have had luck in random fields before.

Didn't find a whole lot, came across a small iron patch, not many high tones, did manage to pull this item out of the iron, not sure what it is, first thought was a scale weight, with the number 10 stamped into the top. But I have no idea if it is or isn't. Has does anyone have a clue as to what this item mite be?

I weighted it on my digital powder scale and the stamp doesn't relate to its weight, it weights 14 grams, but has 10 stamped into it. The only thing I can think of is it may have been made a little heavier to rip people off. But I may be way of on what it actually is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240726_211635.jpg
    20240726_211635.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240726_211642.jpg
    20240726_211642.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240726_211704.jpg
    20240726_211704.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Sure looks like a scale weight. Could be in pennyweights. A 10-pennyweight weight would weigh 15.6 grams. Maybe within the margin of error?
If it would be penny weights, it would then be less than 1 penny weight off from actual weight according to my scale. If it wouldn't be for the number stamped on top of it I wouldn't even had an idea what it mite be.

Upvote 0
How accurate is the scale on which you weighed it? If it were an apothecary weight, 10 scruples would be 13g.

You could check the accuracy of your scale using some US coins. A single nickel should weigh exactly 5g.

Upvote 3
Weights are typically made with pretty good accuracy PROVIDED the weight is kept very clean and protected. Damage to the weight in the form of corrosion or other might alter the accuracy. Just a thought. If there's crud stuck to it and or the metal itself is somehow altered it would definitely throw the accuracy off.

Upvote 1
If it were an apothecary weight, 10 scruples would be 13g.
Funny, I nearly said apothecary, as I had a distant memory of that type in a fitted box. Just wasn't sure enough to throw it out there!

Upvote 0
Back in the day before digital scales, we used weights like this on laboratory balances. The groove in the top is so it can be picked up with forceps. That made placing in on the balance pan, especially on those scales which were in glass cases, easier and kept finger oils off the weight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back