this mornings hunt

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i searched another ballfield on another churches property this morning. the church that is now standing was built in the 20s but there was an older building somewhere before. i found $2.06 in clad a 1912d wheatie a 1964 jefferson nickel and two cool old relics. an old iron door latch and a part of a spoon (minus the handle) it looks to be made of pewter or something and is very disintegrated from being in the ground. its got to be from the late 1800s at the earliest.i would post pics but i dont have a scanner or a camera right now. i do have a question though.......did they ever make silver jefferson nickles and if so when is the last year for them? i know washington quarters and dimes were silver up to 64, but im not sure on the nickels. hopefully i will get out again tonight and check out another old church yard. if i do i will make sure to post any finds. ;)

Upvote 0
The silver war time nickels were made from 1942p-1945s. These are easy to spot because of the large mint mark (p,d,s) on the reverse above the dome. Nice finds.

thanks for the speedy replies! i dont know how to grade coins but i would say that the wheatie is in pretty poor condition. you can still make out the date and all but it was in the ground for a long while. it was found at about 8 inches.thanks for the info clump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back