The Sovereign Saga #5

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Skipping #4 which was my last hunt almost 3 weeks ago at the old coal mine again, but with my son. It was more adventure than metal detecting, but interesting things were found when we were not playing Minecraft.

With the weather changing to sub-zero the last few weeks digging has crawled to a halt. Scouting only. Moist soil and 4”-6” of ice on the ponds, yeah no digging this year I had thought.

Yesterday and today was finally a balmy 40 degrees, so I took the opportunity today to walk a park and assess the ground conditions. I decided to take the Sovereign because I have so few hours with it and I only intended to listen and pick the surface. I went to my favorite park for giving up jewelry, a park I’ve been working regularly for three years. I’ve recovered several dozens of rings, earrings, charms, and chains from this park. So many pieces of junk and precious jewelry have been recovered that I call it “Jewelers Park”. It’s been a very good park once all the clad got out of the way, which took the better part of a year to do.

Setting up the machine I turned down the gain to about half, auto sensitivity, disc at 8 o’clock, imask on, threshold at a slight hum.

It was hit and miss as far as thawed and frozen soil conditions were concerned. I had already decided to try cherry picking tones with solid repeatable tones and after 70 minutes this is what was found.

allfinds.jpg

First decent target passing near the tot lot and the screwdriver pops out this Andrew Johnson one dollar coin from 2 ½”.

dollar_coin.jpg

Ten more paces and another sweet sounding signal.

bracelet.jpg

Yeah! Looks good! Let’s do two!

bracelet2.jpg

Just another heartbreaker! :crybaby2:

But how that bracelet was passed 15 feet from the playground by me with the Deus, ATP, and V3i (many times by myself and countless other detectorists no doubt) but sounded good on the Sovereign is a mystery to me… but I’ma take it anyway. :skullflag:

It was nice to get out one more time before the end of ’16. Satisfies that itch!

Thanks for peeking.

Upvote 6
Congratualtions on the hunt! :occasion14: Too bad the chain was a disappointment, it looks so good in the plug!

Thanks. You're right, those fools gold pieces look so good. To make it worse there were people around watching me and I had to bag it kind of quick. Oh, the anticipation. :blob8:

Looks like you had fun, heart breaking fun that is. Congrats on getting another hunt in for the season.

.......Thanks for peeking.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :tongue3:

It is strange where things are found, ain't it? Especially when one has been over and over and over and over the same area. :icon_scratch:
Always remember, when it comes to swinging, "close" doesn't cover it! ;)

Nice scratching!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back