THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Sorry to "vent" here so much on this.

But hey... gotta do it somewhere.

:P

Being safe(r)r is the key here obviously....
but the stress of potentially loosing your home and belongings is a VERY high stress level situation on the back of that.

Beings 50% are not insured ..... this thought alone of a life changing event to a degree of this...
that will scare the living shit out of anyone.

Insurance is VERY expensive and VERY hard to get worth a damn.... and flood coverage is like a white whale.
Especially if you live anywhere close to water or zones A-B-C.

I am in zone C... i am "up" a bit... thats why.
About 1 mile from the ocean.

But........

Storm surges can travel inland up to 30 miles, depending on the power of the storm and the topography of the area:
  • Hurricane Laura
    The storm surge from Hurricane Laura reached 23–30 miles inland in Louisiana.
  • Hurricane Ike
    The storm surge from Hurricane Ike reached nearly 30 miles inland in some parts of southeastern Texas and southwestern Louisiana.
  • Hurricane Ian
    The storm surge from Hurricane Ian reached 15 miles inland in Pinellas County, Florida, and up to 24 miles inland along rivers and waterways.
Storm surges are abnormal rises in seawater level that occur when a storm's winds push water on shore. They can:
  • Increase water levels by up to 20 feet
  • Be 50 to 100 miles wide
  • Range in height from 3 to 25+ feet, depending on the hurricane's intensity
  • Cause flooding that can reach tens of miles inland

Sorry to "vent" here so much on this.

But hey... gotta do it somewhere.

:P

Being safe(r)r is the key here obviously....
but the stress of potentially loosing your home and belongings is a VERY high stress level situation on the back of that.

Beings 50% are not insured ..... this thought alone of a life changing event to a degree of this...
that will scare the living shit out of anyone.

Insurance is VERY expensive and VERY hard to get worth a damn.... and flood coverage is like a white whale.
Especially if you live anywhere close to water or zones A-B-C.
I have a query: You are looking for a place to hunker down in-but why east?
I'd be getting to the north/west like Tallahassee

I am in zone C... i am "up" a bit... thats why.
About 1 mile from the ocean.

But........

Storm surges can travel inland up to 30 miles, depending on the power of the storm and the topography of the area:
  • Hurricane Laura
    The storm surge from Hurricane Laura reached 23–30 miles inland in Louisiana.
  • Hurricane Ike
    The storm surge from Hurricane Ike reached nearly 30 miles inland in some parts of southeastern Texas and southwestern Louisiana.
  • Hurricane Ian
    The storm surge from Hurricane Ian reached 15 miles inland in Pinellas County, Florida, and up to 24 miles inland along rivers and waterways.
Storm surges are abnormal rises in seawater level that occur when a storm's winds push water on shore. They can:
  • Increase water levels by up to 20 feet
  • Be 50 to 100 miles wide
  • Range in height from 3 to 25+ feet, depending on the hurricane's intensity
  • Cause flooding that can reach tens of miles inland
I have to have a look at the discussion board of what they're telling folks on AMI.
The Island is the the same hight as the surge, so it's going to roll right over.
It's a barrier island I believe.

:coffee2: Good morning everyone. Preparing for Milton. My side of the state will not have the winds that the gulf side will have. Still we will have cat 1 conditions & I'm on an island 3 blocks from the beach. We have our supplies in, now I'm just buttoning up the house and my daughters house. She's out of town. Fingers crossed 🤞 & prayers for all. All of us here in Florida appreciate the good wishes and concern of everyone. Thank you.

Im tapping out here now 10,30 at night.
I seriously wish, hope and pray for all you guys facing another potential catastrophe storm.
Everything I have in me hopes the best for you all.
Maybe a half world apart, but you are all very close in my heart. Stay safe and well friends. 👍

I have to have a look at the discussion board of what they're telling folks on AMI.
The Island is the the same hight as the surge, so it's going to roll right over.
It's a barrier island I believe.
Well the Island really took a hit with Helen. 3-4ft of water in every building and 150 homes totally gone.
I didn't realize the actual damage to AMI and the effect that the hurricane had on the Island.
It threw the ocean's sand over many of the island's streets.
Curfew 7pm-7am as of this past week.

I really think that Milton will be the Island's end-it had a really good go without a direct hit since 1960s.
So sad really having stayed there for a number of winters.

Driving down a street on AMI after Helen.

Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at 7.37.33 AM.png

:coffee2: Good morning everyone. Preparing for Milton. My side of the state will not have the winds that the gulf side will have. Still we will have cat 1 conditions & I'm on an island 3 blocks from the beach. We have our supplies in, now I'm just buttoning up the house and my daughters house. She's out of town. Fingers crossed 🤞 & prayers for all. All of us here in Florida appreciate the good wishes and concern of everyone. Thank you.
Same here....cautious and waiting for now....if she strays south at all we're doomed. The Florida bay will pile into the everglades and keys. Thinking about storm shutters now, as everything else is buckling up. Still have big decisions to make regarding about 4 million dollars in fishing yachts, and where to protect them....we ain't going north that's for sure !! Unlike ARC, we are quite hardened down here, and we feel all the storms in some way or another as they more often than not pass close to us here in the islands !! So I've seen this approach before....late storm that enters from the west and exits on the east coast. Combined with a strong October king tide, and the surge will dwarf what we just saw from helene!! In key largo we are in the heel of Florida bay....the water has no where to go except through the small gaps in the islands. Storm surge can be epic here in this scenario.

I live in a unique area of the keys, and I chose this spot deliberately. I live at "Adam's cut" this is a narrow slot carved through the island so that boat traffic can access the ocean with out a long drive south or north. This cut was carved through the highest point in the keys at 16 feet above water the storm surge roars through the cut like nothing anyone has ever imagined!! This relieves the flooding like a storm drain, and the surge ravishes the low lying houses on the water, but our house is high up on mount key largo, and we've never flooded ..... ever !! I'm at 13 feet, and my jungle shop is at 16 feet with no loose soil !! I actually am on solid rock that can be swept clean like concrete. Wind and tree fall in this jungle hammock is the biggest danger !!

All emergency vehicles that prestage in the keys prestage in our neighborhood and close to my shop....we are always first to get the aid because of this !! Nope....I don't have e an ocean view, but it's 2 blocks down hill from me !!

In 2022, the population of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater metropolitan area in the United States was about 3.2 million people.
Now add all the surroundings like us.

Another million.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back