THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Latest advisory moved it more west (away) from us... which makes the stress level SLIGHTLY go down.
With each notch it takes in this direction the fear gets a bit lighter.

We will see if this new track holds true.
As we all know... and what sucks the most with these is... its a guessing game... nothing is in stone until it does it.

Good afternoon Pirates xx Hope u are all well this Tuesday xx 🤗

Well last nights capture of Mr Woo was a complete disaster…. I had closed the door so he couldnt access his food in the afternoon… meaning he would be eager to climb in the cage once the door was open nd himself was in position… but the little Twit got himself all hangry nd would not venture into the cage 🤨… he has been happily going in and out all day today 😂😂 (he is in there now)

He really is the smartest little bird😍 xx
IMG_6060.jpeg

Good afternoon Pirates xx Hope u are all well this Tuesday xx 🤗

Well last nights capture of Mr Woo was a complete disaster…. I had closed the door so he couldnt access his food in the afternoon… meaning he would be eager to climb in the cage once the door was open nd himself was in position… but the little Twit got himself all hangry nd would not venture into the cage 🤨… he has been happily going in and out all day today 😂😂 (he is in there now)

He really is the smartest little bird😍 xx
View attachment 2170909

You want to use gravity (Mr. Woo's weight) to close the door.

"Box" traps use varied triggers and doors. Rabbit sized ,with a smaller sizes trigger maybe in your case.

And what about fishing line replacing your string? Or just longer string.

A simple Pigeon trap involves a hole they been using to go in and out already in a wall or box or frame. A bird keeper could use such to keep them in if desired.
Hanging on that hole/opening (think of strung beads as a curtain) are stout wires (coat hanger wire for us paupers).
A length of supporting wire across the top. (Yes Bob Cratchit's coat hanger wire would work.) Consider it a curtain rods purpose , sort of...
Eyes bent round in one end of each wire to be hung will be supported by that cross wire. Keep bending until you have enough wires to cover the opening. (remember the illustration my therapist presented me? Alright , try to forget it.)
Wild guess , 1/4 inch (6.5mm) gaps between the wires will suffice.. (See illustration for potential cut soda straw spacers location between wires at top.)

Important:
Each hanging wires bottom edge must hang below threshold of the opening on the INSIDE of the compartment/box/cage ect. Making them swing only one direction. Bird can easily push through following it's visibility of your bait or it's simply returning to it's former shelter.
Trying to exit though it pushes wire bottoms against the bottom edge as designed.
Should work on your cage. ?
1727292981502.png

Then there are the stick and string capture boxes of cartoon fame. Yes they work.

As kids we'd use a torch (battery powered flashlight) to catch roosting birds in the dark.
Use the light only to locate roosted bird if possible. Holding light on a bird wakes it more, but also gives it plenty of light to do what birds do when you annoy them in daylight.
Meaning you climbed the outside of the silo for nothing. Again.

Then with minimum (light only on edge of periphery if your eyes won't adjust to dark) put the sneak on the bird.
Grasp by pinning wings to body securely but gently.. Easy does it.

Well last nights capture of Mr Woo was a complete disaster….
+1 for capturing at night. That's how we catch unruly chickens. Just wait for dark, they'll roost, and you can just walk up to them and pick them up. Mostly, anyway. If there's enough light to see, they'll take off and fly headlong into the nearest tree.

Fortunately, PeeWee is much easier to deal with. When it's time to clip nails or beak, I just pick her up. She's used to sitting on my hand or arm a lot, so my hand doesn't scare her. Maybe Mr. Woo just needs more cuddle time to get used to you.

You want to use gravity (Mr. Woo's weight) to close the door.

"Box" traps use varied triggers and doors. Rabbit sized ,with a smaller sizes trigger maybe in your case.

And what about fishing line replacing your string? Or just longer string.

A simple Pigeon trap involves a hole they been using to go in and out already in a wall or box or frame. A bird keeper could use such to keep them in if desired.
Hanging on that hole/opening (think of strung beads as a curtain) are stout wires (coat hanger wire for us paupers).
A length of supporting wire across the top. (Yes Bob Cratchit's coat hanger wire would work.) Consider it a curtain rods purpose , sort of...
Eyes bent round in one end of each wire to be hung will be supported by that cross wire. Keep bending until you have enough wires to cover the opening. (remember the illustration my therapist presented me? Alright , try to forget it.)
Wild guess , 1/4 inch (6.5mm) gaps between the wires will suffice.. (See illustration for potential cut soda straw spacers location between wires at top.)

Important:
Each hanging wires bottom edge must hang below threshold of the opening on the INSIDE of the compartment/box/cage ect. Making them swing only one direction. Bird can easily push through following it's visibility of your bait or it's simply returning to it's former shelter.
Trying to exit though it pushes wire bottoms against the bottom edge as designed.
Should work on your cage. ?
View attachment 2170910

Then there are the stick and string capture boxes of cartoon fame. Yes they work.

As kids we'd use a torch (battery powered flashlight) to catch roosting birds in the dark.
Use the light only to locate roosted bird if possible. Holding light on a bird wakes it more, but also gives it plenty of light to do what birds do when you annoy them in daylight.
Meaning you climbed the outside of the silo for nothing. Again.

Then with minimum (light only on edge of periphery if your eyes won't adjust to dark) put the sneak on the bird.
Grasp by pinning wings to body securely but gently.. Easy does it.
It's easier to just do it in a dark environment.

Handling birds in the cover of darkness is easy.

Well I am going on how chickens and turkeys react.

+1 for capturing at night. That's how we catch unruly chickens. Just wait for dark, they'll roost, and you can just walk up to them and pick them up. Mostly, anyway. If there's enough light to see, they'll take off and fly headlong into the nearest tree.

Fortunately, PeeWee is much easier to deal with. When it's time to clip nails or beak, I just pick her up. She's used to sitting on my hand or arm a lot, so my hand doesn't scare her. Maybe Mr. Woo just needs more cuddle time to get used to you.
We were thinking of the same thing at the same time. 🤣

Last week when our friend came over to help load up the turkeys.
He asked how he should proceed?
Just pick them up like you would a dog or a large pet.

They were still half asleep and didn't even ruffle a feather.

In case you missed it, the Padres secured a Wild Card spot last night by beating the Dodgers (4-2) with a TRIPLE PLAY in the last of the 9th inning.
Another birthday present for me. Go Pads !!
Don in SoCal
Ah, baseball. 10 minutes of action packed into 3 hours! One of my buddies is a baseball fanatic. I tease him about how watching grass grow is more exciting. It's nice your team got a spot in the playoffs. 👌

Dumped an assload of rain... was outside digging troughs to funnel it from backups.
Gotta get it running out to street... flowing so it does not backup and drown the septic as well as anything else.

Screenshot_20240925_162306_MyRadar.jpg
Screenshot_20240925_162336_MyRadar.jpg
got a break finally...blowing steady 20 right now with gusts to 30s....lots of rain !! Here it comes hang on !! We're all hunkered down and the boats are rendered and double tied....now gotta get through the king high tides !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back