The Case of the Missing Tree Stumps

The platforms installed every 10 feet were presumably fir saplings? approximately 12-16 ft long and say 4-6 inches in diameter. Were they cut on the island, and if so where are the tree stumps?
Thems bigger than saplings. Thems posts.

Pine rots fast. Softwoods rot before hardwoods. Cedar can hang in thier but feel free to study their cut stumps lifespans.

I've removed oak stumps from green to decades old in this yard.
Had family helping last spring on fresh maple stumps, sassafras and oak.
And I dug and cut down the road a couple years ago in a yard there.
When I state leaving a stump suits me I mean it.
Then I go work another one anyways.

Stumps snag plows. Trip livestock. Chock wheels.
How they are treated after cutting factors in speed of deterioration. Great whitepine stumps with much sap/resin and exposed to air last decades.

I bumped a decades old oak stump (big one) with a box blade on a tractor by accident and it is free. Pounded on others that gave up too.

But Oak Island glory hole timbers stumps? Long gone had they existed.
How they became gone can vary. Stump pulling machines powered by horse/mule /oxen worked. Lots of other ways to pull them.
Or burn them. Or salt them.
Small post sized pine type stumps though would fade fast. Seems odd but if you can dry roots (see salt/nitrate use) a stump fades faster. Smaller stumps=smaller root volume. Smaller integrity after cutting.

Let's see. The Truro history says 6" wide spruce POSTS let's say 14 ft long, 11 levels makes 308 posts/stumps.
Did someone say there is the suggestion of an ancient road running east-west in the middle of the island, with belts of trees to the north and south sides of it? That's where I would have chopped my trees if I was hiding my activity.
Seems like even if the stump roots died there should be remnants which could be tree-ring dated.
Seems like it would be worth a look.

Had someone gone looking for them 150-200 years ago they might have found some. No stump is going to last that long to find today.. I'm sure the Lagina Clan have walked that island over and over along with the Blankenships who lived on the island for years and guess Dave might still live there..

You are probably correct but there is one more thing to consider.
When a Christmas tree is harvested, the stump can start growing again. THEORETICALLY it might be possible to find a tree with a different amount of tree rings in the stump vs the growth on top.

You are probably correct but there is one more thing to consider.
When a Christmas tree is harvested, the stump can start growing again. THEORETICALLY it might be possible to find a tree with a different amount of tree rings in the stump vs the growth on top.
Nahh.
Second growth of pine isn't very common. Defects low tend to worsen with time too.
I've an oak (slower growing specie) example in the front yard about twenty years old. I deliberately cut it on a sharp angle after to shed water.
Rather than shrub out like a coppice subject , the stump is almost out of sight today. Another twenty you'd likely not know the tree was ever cut.

Maple are good example of second growth and water shoots.
Poplar by underground roots starting a colony.

But pine don't tolerate stumps only left to recover from.

And are you considering past residents that didn't want live or dead stumps left?

1000000083.jpg
1000000086.jpg
1000000084.jpg

It doesn't seem impossible that second growth happens, and it looks like the growth itself spreads to protect the stump.
However, should the Laginas explore the island extensively, they would need to find a tree that is 15 to 20 feet wide to be a 200 year old tree. How could loggers ignore that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back