287.2 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20121122_184159.png
    ForumRunner_20121122_184159.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20121122_184114.png
    ForumRunner_20121122_184114.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Dude....you guys have way to much time on your hands. You should be out hunting for the good stuff.

Those little choppers were made by many time periods so it is hard to put a time frame on it. Not sure all were hafted either, some were just used by hand for butchering. Price wise maybe $10.00 if you are lucky. Better to just keep it. Market is saturated due to the economy and it brought out a lot of new hunters that do not know anything trying to make a buck off it. I see people hunting and they have not a clue to what they are finding or why it is there. That is cool cause we all start somewhere but they sell everything so history is lost. I know one guy that has found thousands upon thousands of items and some of the best pottery you will ever see and so site specific smart but he sells everything he finds. Another guy has a monster collection of personal finds and it never sees the light of day. I have seen many great collections ruined because they bought one or two questionable items. Especially if they die and a spouse or relative is trying to get rid and sell ones life passion. Knowledge is lost and the collection falls prey and markets are flooded.
Nice choppers/adzes. :)

I agree with Tnmountains, except I'd say more like 5 bucks. The auctions I've been to, pieces like that aren't sold by the piece, there is usually a small box or bag full so they can get a bid. I'm not saying it's a fair price, just that it is what it is.

Of course auction prices and true value are seldom the same, but a piece like that is fairly common. When full groove stone axes are going for $50, it's hard to get very much for a crude flint tool.

I think I've said this before, but I personally think that's great news. Hopefully the desire to make money off of artifacts will pass like a fad for alot of people. The laws in my state and many others became obserd based ALOT on the fact that hoards of people with almost no true intrest in the history and respect for the earth that contains it created a problem that the state government had to address. If not brought to their attention by all the peanut gallery hooplah they would never have thought long enough about these things to give them the time of day.

This post went south quick. I don't post on here much but read a lot and enjoy most of the posts and all of the photo's.
Back to the original post and pohto's. My thoughts are that they may be pre-forms for arrowheads or knife blades. Natives went to source spots and spalled out rocks and made preforms to carry out.JMHO

Here is a Adze I got this yr at a show. You can use it for help on yours. Yes I bought it and it was the nicest one in the bunch of 63 artifacts. Is yours flat on one side like mine? If so it is probably an Adze used for wood working.

Attachments

• 100_2158.JPG
    100_2158.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_2162.JPG
    100_2162.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 66
rock said:
Here is a Adze I got this yr at a show. You can use it for help on yours. Yes I bought it and it was the nicest one in the bunch of 63 artifacts. Is yours flat on one side like mine? If so it is probably an Adze used for wood working.

I still call that a spade! And a nice one. I know Reaper disagrees, and 9 out of 10 times he is correct. I'll hold on to my dubious belief on this one!

If that piece that rock posted shows Polish on the working end it was used as a spade. If there is evidence of impact on the bit It would be a celt or adze. Most adze have a curve to the bit and a flat side and a more dome shaped side like the one posted in this thread.

rock said:

Hey Rock, do me a favor. Can you post a pic of the bit itself? I may be wrong, but it seems rather large to be a flaked adze. The larger ones were used for really chopping into wood, with lots of force behind them. For that reason, most adze that size are polished hard stone. For the tedious work or less impact part of the job, a flaked one would do fine. I would think flaked adze of that size would break in no time.

Ok here it is. I have found one small one myself here in Ga but when I did my basement it got moved and I cant find it now. This one shows re chipping on the end. Hope you can see it.

Attachments

• 100_2161.JPG
    100_2161.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 73
I just found it funny That someone who buys and sells artifacts has absolutely no idea what it takes to to have a single piece authenticated. I don't know a single person who would buy an artifact from someone who wasn't a personal friend without even authentication pappers.

I have officially double liked this post

That wasnt nice :tongue3:

It's not personal.... however it was funny..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back