Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these about 20 years ago at a barn sale . Any idea on the country of origin ?

I think the one on the left , with the open palm , might be a woman ?
The one with a sword is obviously a man .

The "woman" has a metal hat thing .

the short one is 45 inches tall . the other one is 49 inches tall .

The backboards are old 1/2'' plywood with burlap .

Thanks for any info !

Attachments

• wood 006.jpg
    wood 006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 402
  • wood 008.jpg
    wood 008.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 393
  • wood 009.jpg
    wood 009.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 393
  • wood 010.jpg
    wood 010.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 402
Here are more pics -

Attachments

• wood 011.jpg
    wood 011.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 480
  • wood 013.jpg
    wood 013.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 505
  • wood 015.jpg
    wood 015.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0
african type design by the looks of it (however my 2nd guess is pacific ocean "islander art" ) --most likely a WW2 or travelers sovie item *** african most likely in my veiw

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
african type design by the looks of it (however my 2nd guess is pacific ocean "islander art" ) --most likely a WW2 or travelers sovie item *** african most likely in my veiw
Hey Ivan - How you been ?

Any Symbolism in these things ? I was thinking the "open palm " means "peace"

And the guy with the sword means " Don't get near my wife , or else " :wink:

Upvote 0
the open palm is a greeting of peace - also big in the arabic world --north afica is big time muslem - oddly normally muslims in the middle east do not make human images but the "ban" does not seem to apply to afican muslems oddly -- it has the look of african tribal art to me * --natives used to carve items out of wood to sell to travellers for cash -- ebony and or dark hardwooks were quite often used for this --quite common in the congo area of africa .

Upvote 0
The nose - eye brow area looks Melanesian / Polynesian, but some of the other parts don't look quite right, and the sword is an unusual motif. Nuggy

Upvote 0
These things are usually African, although the guy has a full face beard and mustache and is carrying a straight long/broadsword..making him look quite European. It's a similar design to what some knights had carved in stone on their sarcophagus after death, so may be middle eastern.

Upvote 0
thinking african made with muslem "background" influance * -- there are african muslems as well as middle eastern ones .

Upvote 0
As a WAG...their origin is Africa...probably a cane...and most likely a tourist item...

The burlap plywood backerboard is probably a means for displaying...wall hanging maybe...

Potential value as fodder for a future garage sale...

Next time, buy the barn instead :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back