Symbols on the (a) "Noss" Map

I have one bit of evidence to add here:

The Petroglyph associated on the map with the Roman Numeral 17 is actually known. It is in Paloma Pass (IIRC). Paloma Pass also fits with where it is shown on the map.

View attachment 2157027

So, Something from the area in Paloma Pass where this symbol exists is associated with the number 17 (or XVII).

Mike
Hey MMC, thanks for the pic. Yeah, Palomas Gap is very interesting. I even walked the whole bottom of it once. The glyphs are along the south side of the road. There are a LOT of caves in the area, so good hidey holes. For various reasons, I do not think that the XVII correspondence (shovel or tree looking thingy) is where Palomas is. There's more symbols in the Palomas Gap petros than in your pic. I think they are are contemporary, though they did get some history right by chiseling De Avalos. The heart and the bird ones are pathetic. The better made ones like what is in your pics are deeply-chiseled and nicely made. This pass was important, though I think the road was first established as a toll road.

SOME? HAHAHA Perrick blew up EVERY piece of rock art he found after noting it in his notebook and taking a picture. The REALLY sad thing is that when he was stabbed and killed in a barfight, the notebook disappeared (AFAIK).

Mike
Arg. Why does that stuff have to happen. Best case is that someone is hoarding the notebook. Worst case is that it molded away in someone's shed. Well, Perrick missed a few, for sure, but I can only imagine what the place looked like when it was fresh, in say 1890 or so. He probably focused on chiseled symbols, and in easy to get to places. There are many large stone monuments still up there. My friend saw the compass rock on top of one of the three hills back in the 60's or 70's, but ...took no pictures - arg. He did take pictures of other things now gone, so I am preserving some history. The compass rock was a large stone construction made out of limestone blocks, and set up like a compass with a pointer. The stone for it was hauled up a steep hill from a lower geologic formation. The ruins are still there. Between it and the eye, maybe one could have used Willie or Renold's "instrument" to complete the triangle or whatever. Per my friend, the compass was a tall construction, and I wonder if it would have been viewable through a spyglass or transit or astrolabe or one of those notched stick thingies when it was upright. I suspect that any sort of "instrument" would have come from the world of nautical practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back