SWEET BATWING BUCKLE how old and what for ? ...and what is this awseoms thing

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all ... I need some help with this bat wing buckle i dug up today ..at a 1700 sight ..what was it used for ? and is it 1700 or early 1800 ?.. what in the world is this cool looking thing ...it is very ornate.. flowers and things all over it ... how old is it and what was it for ?... ...all I know is these are 2 of the coolest relics I have ever dug !

you can click on the pics up to 3 time to make them bigger ..thank you all very much for your help on this one

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg4.jpg

I believe Bat-Wing buckles date to the 1820s-1830s time period (Andrew Jackson era) Other than Civil War digging I love researching and hunting 1820s-1830s house sites that date to the Andrew Jackson era and know a few bat-wing buckles have come out of 1820s-1830s house sites. During the Andrew Jackson era they had different style kewl artifacts i.e. the Jacksonian Buttons and lot of different style buttons during that period and lot of neat decorative artifacts...

Upvote 0
Love the batwing! These were used in the 1700's usually associated with early sites, no idea how long the style was used for though. Here is a link to a Rev. War one...

Untitled 1

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Love the batwing! These were used in the 1700's usually associated with early sites, no idea how long the style was used for though. Here is a link to a Rev. War one...

Untitled 1

Steve
thank you very much for the info

Upvote 0

Untitled 1

Steve

I am pretty positive batwing buckes do not date to colonial time period but the 1820s-1830s ... Here is a thread about them where Crusader also agrees with me and CCHunter also wrote on a thread once stating he thinks they range in post colonial period, they are found @ colonial sites sometimes (not often) due to later activity. I have dug two bat wing buckles before and the sites i found them out were colonial/post colonial sites. Of course if you dig something in a colonial spot sometimes you automatically think it is colonial, I too at first thought they were colonial. If there is any archaeology evidence (from a site not selling them for over $200 then please please post)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/365745-batwing-buckle-more.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Batwing buckles are a theme of the double looped trapzodial buckle which dates from the 1600's, they are not a English style but derived of, and most likely date later than the 1700's.

SS

Upvote 0
I am pretty positive batwing buckes do not date to colonial time period but the 1820s-1830s ... Here is a thread about them where Crusader also agrees with me and CCHunter also wrote on a thread once stating he thinks they range in post colonial period, they are found @ colonial sites sometimes (not often) due to later activity. I have dug two bat wing buckles before and the sites i found them out were colonial/post colonial sites. Of course if you dig something in a colonial spot sometimes you automatically think it is colonial, I too at first thought they were colonial. If there is any archaeology evidence (from a site not selling them for over $200 then please please post)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/365745-batwing-buckle-more.html
sweet thank you for the info ...yes I think your right on .. it dont look like a 1700 buckle

Upvote 0
Your other object is a watch key and a pretty special one in my book. I found a similar one a while back and posted it in the " What is it" area. Turned out to be very similar to a watch key designed by Jean Antone Lepine for George Washington.
There was a really cool article about it on a link in the post but I cant get it to open at the moment. Here is the thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...lved-watch-fob-key-design-first-made-g-w.html

Brian

Upvote 0
silversurfer1111, I know basspinall just got you smiling. Congrats.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Your other object is a watch key and a pretty special one in my book. I found a similar one a while back and posted it in the " What is it" area. Turned out to be very similar to a watch key designed by Jean Antone Lepine for George Washington.
There was a really cool article about it on a link in the post but I cant get it to open at the moment. Here is the thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...lved-watch-fob-key-design-first-made-g-w.html

Brian
WOW ! thank you for the awesome info..i cant get the the link to open but there some cool info there

Upvote 0
That style batwing is 1700's. Most of us think they were cross belt buckles used for soldier's accoutrements. However, Button expert Don Tironi thinks they were just used on Oxen etc. However, I can tell you 95% of the 30 or so that I have found were all IN old cellar holes!

Upvote 0
The style he has shown, with the sharp points, date to the 1750's-1790's. The ones that have rounded points are 1800 -1820's++ or so.

Upvote 0
The style he has shown, with the sharp points, date to the 1750's-1790's. The ones that have rounded points are 1800 -1820's++ or so.

Can you post any provenance? I'd like to read about it.

Thx

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Very cool watch key. Very rare item and worth more than the buckle by far

Upvote 0
Silver that is one heck of a buckle and the flower relic is neat also,vanzutphen

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back