SWEET BATWING BUCKLE how old and what for ? ...and what is this awseoms thing

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all ... I need some help with this bat wing buckle i dug up today ..at a 1700 sight ..what was it used for ? and is it 1700 or early 1800 ?.. what in the world is this cool looking thing ...it is very ornate.. flowers and things all over it ... how old is it and what was it for ?... ...all I know is these are 2 of the coolest relics I have ever dug !

you can click on the pics up to 3 time to make them bigger ..thank you all very much for your help on this one

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg4.jpg

Experience. I have found many of these - Please read my other post. 90% of them have been found INSIDE a cellar hole, on a pile of rocks that was a foundation for a cabin and so on. I have detected such site for years. These are NOT new sites and NO modern 'stuff' is found at them. See my recent post on my Washington button find. We have found 6 large cents at the site, 17 _ _ , 1810, 3 X 1817 and an 1818. We found 8 - 1/2 dollar sized colonial coat buttons [three silver plated] tombac buttons, a couple of musket parts, and so on. I also found ON the pile of rocks a small 2" rounded corner batwing - dates the batwing I'd say. Sorry but despite what others have stated here these are NOT buckles used for oxen and so on. They are almost always found inside the cellar/foundation/pile of rocks here in the northeast. This is very typical. The pointed ones that I have found - over 20 of them have all been found at sites with relics from the early to late 1700's. At one site I also found a 1694 William and Mary 1/2 penny, a 1696 William III penny, 1797 large cent and large dutch kitchen-type fireplace swing arm, etc AND 6 Pointed Batwing buckles - every one was INSIDE the cellar/foundation, these were from a tiny 2" one to large 4-5 inch ones. Another 'tell' is what the cellar/foundation looks like. If it is shallow with a dutch-style center fireplace and 1' or so high walls it is OLD! At another pile of rocks over 1/2 mile back in the woods I found numerous flat buttons, a huge dutch brass over iron shoe buckle and a rounded pointed Batwing hand dated 1702!! I would suggest that these and many more similar stories are great 'provenance'. Oh another thing - none of these cellars appeared on any map = starting with the 1829 map > 1854 > 1862 > 1876 etc They were already out of use prior to the earliest map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That style batwing is 1700's. Most of us think they were cross belt buckles used for soldier's accoutrements. However, Button expert Don Tironi thinks they were just used on Oxen etc. However, I can tell you 95% of the 30 or so that I have found were all IN old cellar holes!

I nearly agree with Don, because ,most were used on horses, specially the ones with off-set bars. (but oxen are not out the question).

The other item is a 19th C Watch Winder.

Most finders of these have come from 19th C context, so your 'evidence' is the only contrary to most others. Sharper corners without offset bars maybe earlier.
As far as I'm aware NO primary source or book dates these earlier than 1800.

Upvote 0
That style batwing is 1700's. Most of us think they were cross belt buckles used for soldier's accoutrements. However, Button expert Don Tironi thinks they were just used on Oxen etc. However, I can tell you 95% of the 30 or so that I have found were all IN old cellar holes!

thanks a lot for the information. that would totally make sense it being from 1700 because the house was from the 17 hundreds so it's pretty cool .

Upvote 0
SURFER IT IS FROM THE 1700S TIME PERIOD . AND THE ORNATE PEICE I WOULD SAY LATE 1700S TO 1800S .NICE RELICS .

Upvote 0
Can you post any provenance? I'd like to read about it.

Thx

DCMatt

Sorry to bump up an old thread. But did anyone see the Batwing buckle in WE Treasures a month or two ago that had a carved in 1700s date as recovered? I think these have a wider span than thought, and certainly span into the 1700s. That's been my hunch all along, judging from what is recovered with them, but there have been many that disagreed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back