Surface finds

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
4D203088-61D2-49E9-97C1-9A0DE0C4CEB2.jpgWe call these Toadstools. Just for kicks wondering if they are eatable. Are they’re any Toadstool experts on the forum? I’ve never seen this type in my yard before.
A6144AE3-1979-4900-8204-2B5950D0A566.jpeg

Upvote 5
impossible to tell from limited photos. Mushroom identification is nothing to take lightly. Identification methods must be done based on structure, the gills/lack of gills, what the mushroom grows on or in, what the spore print looks like(maybe even needing microscope), general coloring patterns, and even taste. you can chew up and SPIT OUT any mushroom and be safe, but ONLY if you DO NOT SWALLOW any. That being said get a few accredited books on mushrooms and cross reference as information varies. and research research research. You can also stick to relatively safe species that are easy to identify and have no or very few toxic look-a-likes. If you look into it there are like 5 mushrooms considered easy ones considered safe for beginners, but still must be properly identified.

I know how to find morels, but that's about it. FWIW, my woods instinct
says "Don't Eat It!!"

Ya never know what you're gonna get from strange 'shrooms.

lsd.jpg

impossible to tell from limited photos. Mushroom identification is nothing to take lightly. Identification methods must be done based on structure, the gills/lack of gills, what the mushroom grows on or in, what the spore print looks like(maybe even needing microscope), general coloring patterns, and even taste. you can chew up and SPIT OUT any mushroom and be safe, but ONLY if you DO NOT SWALLOW any. That being said get a few accredited books on mushrooms and cross reference as information varies. and research research research. You can also stick to relatively safe species that are easy to identify and have no or very few toxic look-a-likes. If you look into it there are like 5 mushrooms considered easy ones considered safe for beginners, but still must be properly identified.

Just did a little research and these are very questionable to eat. For every one that is eatable, there is usually one that is poisonous that is simular in looks. Thanks for the advice.

Just did a little research and these are very questionable to eat. For every one that is eatable, there is usually one that is poisonous that is simular in looks. Thanks for the advice.

no problem, but don't let it shy you away from mushrooms. plenty of goodies to be had if your willing to put in time on the education aspect.

Not an expert, but the fact that the bugs haven't been eating them would make me suspicious.

feed them to the neighbors cat and see what hsppens lol. Kidding

I'd give a wild stab at some variety of amanita, but without further pictures of described above, just a guess.

While mildly useful, identifying one mushroom is of no help here. Because the mushroom in question could easily not be a death cap or destroying angel, and still be a toxic mushroom.

Agreed, I was simply hiliting what you were saying earlier about the different methods of identification. Not at all meant to identify the Species Pictured, just a basic guide to the methods of Identifying Fungi in General.

I have never had a problem at selecting edible mushrooms. I usually find them in the produce section of my supermarket.

The worse thing about them is that you can eat them and they might taste fine and you'll feel swell for a few days and then your kidneys abruptly quit. Then you're in for a nightmare, often fatal. I couldn't agree more or further stress the warnings offered here!

While mildly useful, identifying one mushroom is of no help here. Because the mushroom in question could easily not be a death cap or destroying angel, and still be a toxic mushroom.

No help?! Buck8point posted a look alike that can kill you, and "it is of no help here?" Good grief! Let me help here...don't eat it, it looks a lot like the bad one.

I have never had a problem at selecting edible mushrooms. I usually find them in the produce section of my supermarket.

I glad you posted. Now I know how to spell edible. Thanks.

feed them to the neighbors cat and see what happens lol. Kidding

Just showed your post to Scruff..says he has "friends",
and suggests watching your back for a few days..catitude1small.jpg

Last edited:
I am only familiar with picking Morels, Pheasant Backs, and Sheepsheads. Many types of mushrooms are poisonous, so be careful and know what it it before you put it into the pan !

No help?! Buck8point posted a look alike that can kill you, and "it is of no help here?" Good grief! Let me help here...don't eat it, it looks a lot like the bad one.

i just wanted to make clear for anyone viewing thread in case they had ideas on trying something. not meant to put anyone down. Simply wanted to be sure it was reinforced.

Agreed, I was simply hiliting what you were saying earlier about the different methods of identification. Not at all meant to identify the Species Pictured, just a basic guide to the methods of Identifying Fungi in General.

yes just wanted to make sure it was clear to others. no harm intended

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back