Screenshot_20240923-043916.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240923-043905.png
    Screenshot_20240923-043905.png
    486.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240923-043854.png
    Screenshot_20240923-043854.png
    569 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TreasureNet. When posting pictures of suspected indian artifacts please post pictures of all sides, also important the pictures are in focus so members can blow them up for examination. Once you take pictures blow them up to be sure they are still in focus.

Thanks...

I’m not an expert on these it will take someone who has these in their collection to be able to say. I don’t have any or have I ever held one before. Good luck

My two cents, I have no experience with birdstones but the fact an authenticating expert id’d it simply as “hard stone” seems odd… but maybe they were just lazy

The first red flag I see is the material. That’s granite. Seldom used by Indians. Very high silica content and difficult to work.
The features that give me pause are the holes. Are they in the right places and in the right numbers? I thought there were supposed to be holes at each end(?), but ICBW.
A common feature is the presence of bi-conically drilled holes, one at either end of the birdstone’s base.

At least one looks... off-center. IDK if this is common in these artifacts.

Are these 2 holes (below) connected? Are they supposed to be? They don't appear to line up very well; would this have affected its utility?
1727093155886.png

In my opinion, I think this is a questionable relic, leaning more towards a reproduction.
My view is that is virtually impossible to be absolutely sure when determining a reproduction or authentic relic from a photo.
But the holes, as indicated above, also to me look questionable.

I have not heard of Lakeview artifacts or Thomas Mathews. That in itself does not mean the COA is bad, but after being a collector in many circles for over 50 years, I would think I would have heard is name a few times. No contact info on the COA also makes it questionable.

A google search of both Lakeview artifacts or Thomas Mathews results in nothing worthwhile to determine if this COA is even authentic.

Older The Better indicated the material and I second that. Most hardstone would be a porphyry, not the material we see here. The material we see here almost looks like a granite countertop seen in kitchens.

I have not heard of Lakeview artifacts or Thomas Mathews. That in itself does not mean the COA is bad, but after being a collector in many circles for over 50 years, I would think I would have heard is name a few times. No contact info on the COA also makes it questionable.

A google search of both Lakeview artifacts or Thomas Mathews results in nothing worthwhile to determine if this COA is even authentic.
+1. Yet they've come up here before...

FWIW, I find several other bird stones authenticated by the same person, some of which are made of this same granite-like material.

IMO, lack of anything on "Lakeview Artifacts" and/or "Thomas Matthews" seems more disconcerting than the artifacts themselves. The address given is just a single family home. YMMV

Last edited:
Pictures are out of focus when blown up, so we can't really blow all pictures up to examine to look for signs of workmanship, and the wrong kind of material as well.

I can't remember ever seeing one from granite, not that they don't exist, I just haven't seen one, almost every one I have seen in person were from banded slate.

I use to go to artifact shows in Missouri and Illinois and would see them there and the ones I saw were authentic.

Best advice I can give would be take it to an artifact show, you can get opinions from multiple experienced collectors, see if any make an offer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back