Successful Pit Dig yields 1st Ink Well!

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a week of no digs I finally got back out and checked 1 of my possible pits / hut. Plenty of big iron, a few bullets, a broken bottle , some window glass and a beautiful INK WELL. Most all targets were below 2 ' and I hit a hard pack at around 3' . I never found any color except for what I think was rotted leather. I probed the side walls with a John K. Singing Probe but ran out of targets and came home happy as heck with a big sense of accomplishment on digging my 1st pit.

image-4124747273.jpg

image-3264441723.jpg

image-3782326598.jpg

image-59370358.jpg

Upvote 4
Nice find.. That ink well will make for a nice show piece..

Do inkwells have collector value? I've found a few myself that I just put aside, not thinking that they might be worth anything.

Congrats! I also found my first inkwell just yesterday. Its a carters no 5 , made in usa. Did some research and i believe it to be from around 1890-1910. Found it just by walking the creek right by my house! Found lots of plate shards and broken cork top bottles also. Must of been a house here at one time seeing how im way up on a mountain in the middle of nowhere haha. Guess they built here because of the natural spring.... Heres a couple pics.

Even found a cork to fit it! Haha

ForumRunner_20130816_173747.png

ForumRunner_20130816_173754.png

I know there you didn't feel any more targets but under cutting it might have left a few good bottles. CW period umbrella ink.

Do inkwells have collector value? I've found a few myself that I just put aside, not thinking that they might be worth anything.

Rare colors can go up wards of 1500 to 2000 dollars

She's a beauty ATpro5!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Good to see you hunting J-dug. Nice ink well . I hunted tonight and got a bunch of bottles and and a buck and ball and some cannister shot going to try to make a post.
Good luck on your digs.
HH

I know there you didn't feel any more targets but under cutting it might have left a few good bottles. CW period umbrella ink.
You're probably right. :thumbsup:

Good to see you hunting J-dug. Nice ink well . I hunted tonight and got a bunch of bottles and and a buck and ball and some cannister shot going to try to make a post.
Good luck on your digs.
HH
Thank you sir. Sounds like you had a great day.

I agree I would open that sucker up. There's probably more where that came from. Congrats

Great looking ink.

Nice inkwell that's in great shape

Dig until your arm falls off

Inkwells are so rare to find... great find !! I'm Jealous!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back