Stumped! Dug a CT. Copper tonight with double obverses?

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Posted this also on “what is it”. Out tonight looking for a cellar hole we eventually found but on the way we took a short cut through a wooded area that was a farm field way back and next to another cellar. I dug this coin and looked at it only long enough to identify it as a CT. Copper. Later on I was cleaning it up a little with a toothpick and was amazed to see it had no reverse. Hoping someone might know a little something about this variety etc. Glad to have it, a first for me with two heads and no tails? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571967754.361004.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571967764.699908.jpg

Upvote 39
Well one of the Connecticut guys on the Colonial group ID'd the left obverse as 33.37 and the right obverse as 33.7.

If the consensus (by the ones who count) think it's genuine I'm sure there will be interest. Will be quite an oddity to be listed with those two.

I didn't look, but those two dies don't happen to have a reverse in common? Would be cool, but also relevant as it places the dies at the same mint. Even if not it's so close it seems like they probably were anyway... which has to be a big plus because the other possibilities we're talking random obverses matched.

PS: That's assuming there was more than one mint. With so many varieties I just figured there was, but maybe not.

Last edited:
Oops! I have to make a correction. I transposed the pictures when I posted to the group. In the first set of pictures that 1KBlueTuber posted, the left obverse would be 33.7 and the right would be 33.37. I just checked, no common reverse, 33.37 was only paired with one reverse. I think you would be correct in that they would be from the same mint, I believe all the 33 obverses were. I focused on Connecticuts in my collecting for several years, but it is amazing how much I have forgotten! Maybe it is time to get back into them.

Well one of the Connecticut guys on the Colonial group ID'd the left obverse as 33.37 and the right obverse as 33.7.

Well I guess that’s good news. I’ll look those examples up. I can tell you where it was found has been abandoned since the 1850s.

A couple of the guys in that group are still questionable about the authenticity, but I am cautiously optimistic. Definitely let us know what you find out.

A small update, it has been decided that the two varieties are 33.37 and 33.2

A small update, it has been decided that the two varieties are 33.37 and 33.2

Thanks. I’m not an expert on varieties but glad there was enough detail to discern them. Do you know if the 33 varieties are from the Jarvis Mjnt?

Just noticed the the 33.2 variety weighs 130.1 grains that helps validate the weight of my coinImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572443155.095014.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome find. Congrats. Enjoyed reading all of the responses. Will be checking back on this one.

A couple of years ago I found an 1817 large cent obverse that had the reverse ground off and there were remains of solder on the reverse. I think the Connecticut copper is a manufactured piece and I'm not made at the mint.

A couple of years ago I found an 1817 large cent obverse that had the reverse ground off and there were remains of solder on the reverse. I think the Connecticut copper is a manufactured piece and I'm not made at the mint.

Thanks. I’m not an expert on varieties but glad there was enough detail to discern them. Do you know if the 33 varieties are from the Jarvis Mjnt?

Just noticed the the 33.2 variety weighs 130.1 grains that helps validate the weight of my coinView attachment 1766819

If you think it's a 33.2 or 33.37 obverse, here's mine for comparison.

20191030_200536.jpg

That is the coolest find ever. I'm going to make a bet that it's a Machin's Mills coin. The CT coppers have a pretty extensive known history with some being made illegally from the actual dies. Super interesting find. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested to see what an expert says as I am not one of them.

Machin's Mills wasn't very interested in making CT coppers when they could make NJ coppers and counterfeit British halfpence. NJ coppers traded at 12 to the shilling and CT's took 16 to get a shilling. The only reason they would make CT coppers is to make them extremely light weight and insure a profit.

Not even close. A 1747 Machin's is a George II copper.

I doubt that it’s a fake or altered by someone, there wouldn’t be a reason to other than maybe boredom.

Machin's Mills wasn't very interested in making CT coppers when they could make NJ coppers and counterfeit British halfpence. NJ coppers traded at 12 to the shilling and CT's took 16 to get a shilling. The only reason they would make CT coppers is to make them extremely light weight and insure a profit.

Thanks Don in Brewster! Funny thing I'm from Brewster Ma!!! I'm going to add you as a friend on here as I have questions on Colonial coins occasionally and would like to correspond with someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks for your comments on the CT's. I said that because I read somewhere that Machins counterfeited all sorts of coins and even made some legal ones too. It was pretty much a guess on my part.

going with real , to be continued , in between time .....
intermission :happy1::happy1:get your pop corn here...

Last edited:
old school magicians coin or something to take a sucker with. cool find for sure.

Can't help you with the ID, but a very interesting find. Hope you find out and share with the rest of us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back