Stumped! Dug a CT. Copper tonight with double obverses?

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Posted this also on “what is it”. Out tonight looking for a cellar hole we eventually found but on the way we took a short cut through a wooded area that was a farm field way back and next to another cellar. I dug this coin and looked at it only long enough to identify it as a CT. Copper. Later on I was cleaning it up a little with a toothpick and was amazed to see it had no reverse. Hoping someone might know a little something about this variety etc. Glad to have it, a first for me with two heads and no tails? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571967754.361004.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571967764.699908.jpg

Upvote 39
Wow! I've never heard of such a thing and I'll be checking back soon to see what the 'experts' here have to say. Awesome find - I'm still looking for my first CT Copper and here I am living here in CT! :thumbsup:

I was about to post, “show a photograph of the reverse”. Duh. Really interesting find; going to follow this thread.

aj

Hi, wow nice find. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

There is no normal variety with two obverses. Do you have some way to weigh the coin? Can you post a picture of the edge? No evidence of it having been made from two different coins? Magician coins, made from two different coins are not uncommon, but I never heard of one being made from Connecticut coppers! They are normally a 20th century thing.

Last edited:
:laughing7:That’s awesome!! Very cool find, good luck with the “back” story

It's a little out-of-round, which can be a sign of a cast coin.

Interesting find. I found a KG III a few weeks ago that is double stamped with 2 heads and 2 tails. The 2nd stamping was 90 degrees off from the first on both sides. I was told it is probably a counterfeit from back during that time.

Two coins pressure-welded together?

That is the coolest find ever. I'm going to make a bet that it's a Machin's Mills coin. The CT coppers have a pretty extensive known history with some being made illegally from the actual dies. Super interesting find. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested to see what an expert says as I am not one of them.

That is the coolest find ever. I'm going to make a bet that it's a Machin's Mills coin. The CT coppers have a pretty extensive known history with some being made illegally from the actual dies. Super interesting find. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested to see what an expert says as I am not one of them.

In my 30 years detecting in New England I’ve never found anything like it. I’ve dug some double stamped coppers but they’ve always had a reverse. Definitely not fused together and upon closer inspection it has 2 different heads/busts so it’s two different dies.

Its even more interesting that the 2 heads are different. Thinking Machin Mills

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back