St. Louis Iron Cross. Need an ID.

Whatacoin

Mar 5, 2011
Ocala,FL
Hey everyone! Just found this Iron Cross but its either there's no info or I'm not looking for the right thing. Any ID would help. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20130426_081707.png

Ok so here's what Ive been able to make out (an image would be pointless). Its on the bottom leg, is a little off center and the wording is curved and is quite small. MSSTE its in the middle of the word and I can't make out the beginning or end. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Is that a Griffin or logo up on the top? Similar to a family crest?

I also think I see the INITIALS E S F under the logo. COuld stand for EXPEDITIONARY SECURITY FORCE?

There were several attempting uprisings in Haiti in the early 20th centruy. One in 1915 that was short lived and another in 1917 until about 1921. The U.S. did participate in each of these campaigns but I think this medal may be French due to the logo (griffin) and the Font of the larger letters. These could have been given by the French to the American or other Foreign forces who helped to quell the uprisings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is that a Griffin or logo up on the top? Similar to a family crest?

I also think I see the INITIALS E S F under the logo. COuld stand for EXPEDITIONARY SECURITY FORCE?

There were several attempting uprisings in Haiti in the early 20th centruy. One in 1915 that was short lived and another in 1917 until about 1921. The U.S. did participate in each of these campaigns but I think this medal may be French due to the logo (griffin) and the Font of the larger letters. These could have been given by the French to the American or other Foreign forces who helped to quell the uprisings.

Wow, nice how all our information is coming together. Ill do some more research on what you said. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Any more luck with the back info? MSSTE translates to a Norwegian word though. Also all of the Griffins I find face to the left (their right our left) Not the way yours is on the medal. There also appears to be a blue product on the medal, perhaps some type of enamel that has worn off. Blue, or AZURE is very popular on Norwegian and French medals. Still digging!!

Also sorry in advance I do not want to seem like a jerk but the design is called a Maltese Cross. Of course Iron Cross has too many German (WWI and WWII) links to it. Again not pompus just factual. To help us define the item.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any more luck with the back info? MSSTE translates to a Norwegian word though. Also all of the Griffins I find face to the left (their right our left) Not the way yours is on the medal. There also appears to be a blue product on the medal, perhaps some type of enamel that has worn off. Blue, or AZURE is very popular on Norwegian and French medals. Still digging!!

Also sorry in advance I do not want to seem like a jerk but the design is called a Maltese Cross. Of course Iron Cross has too many German (WWI and WWII) links to it. Again not pompus just factual. To help us define the item.

Oh its fine, you've supplied alot of information. And maybe that's why I'm only finding links to WWI and WWII items.

Upvote 0
Well here is a bit more to add. From Wikipedia..The Order of Military Merit, initially known as the Institution of Military Merit (French: Institution du Mérite militaire) was an order of the French Ancien Régime created on 10 March 1759 by King Louis XV. It was created to reward the non-Catholic officers of the French Army.[1

It seems there are medals Very similar to these attached to this order. The Catholic vesion had Red as their primary color but the non Catholic version had BLUE.

Since you seem to think this is from a Hatian area of Florida perhaps it was given to a religious person in Haiti and then lost here.

Wikipedia has a lot on the French Military order. Here is the link wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Saint_Louis

Good luck gonna call it a night!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back