Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED: NEW PICS

Just thought I'd put this one up. Curious what it might've been. Would be helpful to place the time frame of the area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Image257.jpgImage258.jpgImage259.jpgImage260.jpgImage261.jpgImage262.jpgImage263.jpg

It is magnetic but seems a little light for it's size. Only about 4 ounces. The one pic shows where the handle is starting to separate from the bottom. The color of the metal seems to be gray, I'm assuming iron.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Flash of the obvious... it's a primitive metal detector search coil. Just look at the double D design. It was a non-motion all-metal detector, but the iron coil made it not work so good... and that's why metal detectors were abandoned until the 20th century.

:laughing7:

Actually, though, it could have been a slotted stirring device of some kind, like Breezie said. And as for the break, if it was that thin already, it would have crumbled eventually.

One more idea... could it have been a crude branding iron for cattle?

My first thought was 'branding iron', but I think having the centre rod of the oval shape at a different level, probably means not :dontknow:

Mike

Edit: However, the primitive search coil idea has merit:headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, that's it! I thank you for all your ideas and help! I'm going to mark this one as solved.

The best solution? A primitive Metal Detector! I think it's a perfect fit!

Thank you all and a special thanks to Rusted_Iron! ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I did some more research and found that they were making oval stirrups in the 18th & 19th century... also, the first time around I did not pay attention to the curvature of that elongated piece. So yeah, I'd say stirrup, or primitive metal detector coil :-D

Upvote 0
Definitely primitive coil LOL.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back