Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED: NEW PICS

Just thought I'd put this one up. Curious what it might've been. Would be helpful to place the time frame of the area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Image257.jpgImage258.jpgImage259.jpgImage260.jpgImage261.jpgImage262.jpgImage263.jpg

It is magnetic but seems a little light for it's size. Only about 4 ounces. The one pic shows where the handle is starting to separate from the bottom. The color of the metal seems to be gray, I'm assuming iron.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
You got me, I'm posting so I can keep an eye on this and see if anyone figures it out.

Upvote 0
Long shot but it looks like the beater that my Mom had that went to her kitchen mixer. Although if thats what it is two blades would be missing.

Upvote 0
Could it be a steel step for a carriage or buggy?
Interesting find, Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
The center of a trap the part that gets tripped where the bait would be put.

Upvote 0
Definitely iron or steel. If you cleaned it up with electrolysis it might be easier to figure out what it was used for. Narrowing down the time period would help eliminate some possible uses.

Upvote 0
Definitely iron or steel. If you cleaned it up with electrolysis it might be easier to figure out what it was used for. Narrowing down the time period would help eliminate some possible uses.

That's what I figured too. Already in it's bath. I'll keep everyone apprised. I'm afraid that the separating part will come apart though. Not much holding that together.

Upvote 0
UPDATED PICS

Don't know if it'll help much, but here it is after it's bath.

Seems like a fairly strong piece. Who knows how long it's been rusting.
You can see the long part didn't stand the bath well. It finally separated.

Hope it helps:

Image264.jpgImage265.jpgImage266.jpgImage268.jpgImage269.jpgImage270.jpg

If any other angle would help, just let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I don't think it's part of a horse bit because everything is rectangle, it's not part of a trap because those jaws have never moved, and I don't think it's heavy duty enough to be a buggy step, so that leaves a stirrup, and that's a distinct possibility, but hard to prove, there just isn't enough there, and after looking at google images, there was only one stirrup with an oval tread, all the rest are rectangle.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's part of a horse bit because everything is rectangle, it's not part of a trap because those jaws have never moved, and I don't think it's heavy duty enough to be a buggy step, so that leaves a stirrup, and that's a distinct possibility, but hard to prove, there just isn't enough there, and after looking at google images, there was only one stirrup with an oval tread, all the rest are rectangle.

Maybe? Part of the trap that an animal would step on to trip the jaws? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
That is the part of the trap I was thinking.

Upvote 0
Since it has rounded/oval edges with a bar in the middle, I think it has something to do with a slotted 'spoon' either to stir an iron pot to cook food or to stir in a heated iron pot to sterile clothes. Remember back during the CW era and after, body lice/crabs were rampant and clothes had to be boiled to disinfect. Of course the same slotted spoon was probably use for fireplace and open fire pot cooking as well as stirring 'crawling' clothes. This one looks hand made.

Interesting find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
They are called trap pans, and no it is not one as they are flat to give more surface for an animal to step on.

Upvote 0
Flash of the obvious... it's a primitive metal detector search coil. Just look at the double D design. It was a non-motion all-metal detector, but the iron coil made it not work so good... and that's why metal detectors were abandoned until the 20th century.

:laughing7:

Actually, though, it could have been a slotted stirring device of some kind, like Breezie said. And as for the break, if it was that thin already, it would have crumbled eventually.

One more idea... could it have been a crude branding iron for cattle?

Upvote 0
Since it has rounded/oval edges with a bar in the middle, I think it has something to do with a slotted 'spoon' either to stir an iron pot to cook food or to stir in a heated iron pot to sterile clothes. Remember back during the CW era and after, body lice/crabs were rampant and clothes had to be boiled to disinfect. Of course the same slotted spoon was probably use for fireplace and open fire pot cooking as well as stirring 'crawling' clothes. This one looks hand made.

Interesting find :)
Breezie

Why THANKYOU, Breezie! Nice to see you again! I was thinking it could be some sort of spoon type tool. But, this one just doesn't seem right. I don't know though so anyone's guess is possible.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The branding iron idea is interesting .A running iron used by cattle rustlers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back