image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 80
Update. The initials are TB followed by an S in a circle. I know nothing about older silverware so anything you can tell me about possible age, metal content, etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
You need to clean it with comet powder.Wet it and rub comet power on it with your fingers and take an
other picture and post it.
It looks like TR to me. This could be and i'm not positive.

Type in search bar --- Thomas Revere ,1789 Boston Mass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rodger dodger-it is TR. it's hard to get a better image. This was found in northeast Illinois. I'm guessing late 1800s piece-but only a guess :)

Upvote 0
The pewter flatware handle you have has pseudo hallmarks; these marks are fantasy marks, that is, it was produced to resemble hallmarks on similar silver pieces

Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The initials are not ‘TB’, nor ‘TR’ and those are not pewter marks. The initials are ‘TE’ as the OP initially thought, with the ‘E’ disguised by some crud from corrosion that has formed around it. The two initials are part of one of many variations of marks used by John Yates (later John Yates & Sons) of Birmingham, England. He used all kinds of unusually spaced and sized letters in cartouches to represent his name.

Yates.jpg

Yates1a.jpg

Yates was active at 38 Coleshill Street (1852) from the Electro and Albata Plate Works and then at Pritchett Street (by 1856). He used a number of different base metal alloy imitations of silver, usually with additional silver-plating, and held various patents or trademarks for ‘Albata Plate’, ‘Virginian Silver’, ‘Silvern’ and ‘Silver Ash’. He also used ‘Crown Metal’ and ‘Britannia Metal’.

Yates2.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back