Songs Of The Viet Nam War

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doors Riders On The Storm 1968

]

The Animals We Got To Get Out Of This Place 1965

Buffalo Springfield For What It's Worth 1967

Stones Paint It Black

Only war in history to have a sound track.

CCR Fortunate Son 1969

I was mistakenly assigned after my electronics school for my mos 345 or later 32G20 Fixed station Crypto Equipment repair to the 11th Air Assault Battalion just forming at Ft. Benning out in the boondocks area of Ft. Benning. I (PFC) told my Company Commander that his unit did not have the equipment that I trained on. He said something like sorry son, I got you and I intend to keep you. Two weeks later I got weekend leave and hitch a ride back to the main post and knocked on the Headquarters communication center door and told the SGT that I was a 32g20 stuck out in the field with the 11th Air Assault Battalion and showed him my orders with my mos on them. He pulled me inside and within an hour he had orders cut for my transfer signed by a brigadere General. Boy was I relieved, because the 11th Air Assault Battalion was only headed to one place in the world, and that was Vietnam. Not where I or many other GI's wanted to go. But most did not have a choice. That was back in the days you were drafted and went where the Army wanted you to go. I was lucky. I spend six months at Ft. Benning and then got orders for South Korea at Pusan. I served one 12 month tour there and volunteered for another 6 months to remain in South Korea so I would not possibly get sent to Vietnam. When I got back to the states 3 months and 1 week left in my enlistment at Ft. Lewis, WA. The company commander kept me busy ramrodding recruits policing the grounds for trash for one week and one day. Thus I had less than 3 months left and could not be reassigned and got an early out. I enjoyed my 3 years in the Army and it was very, very formative in molding my life into a responsible young man. The military was easy for me. I figured it out early. You just go along with the plan and regard your SGTs as your mentor/friends because they really can help you keep out of trouble. And of couse it helps if you try and DO YOUR BEST for what you are being paid to do. After getting out of the Army I got my 4 year degree paid by Uncle Sam as promised. No student loans for me.
Some of the best music we ever had was from the 1960's and later the 1970's. But the 1960's were the best of the protest songs there ever was recorded. Keep in mind a huge percentage of the soldier back then were draftees or guys like me who joined because we were going to get drafted but got a better deal for enlisting for 3 years. We had a better choice of mos classifications (Jobs) than draftees. They got what ever uncle sam needed at the time.

IMG_0583.jpeg

This CD has some great songs from the Viet Nam Era.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back