Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I’d try a hole at my newest site. It’s small but productive. I haven’t worked out the extent of the site yet. I set up 8’ from a productive area and came up with a couple flakes. So I moved back and dug next to a previous hole that was productive and had a winner.

I’ve taken many pictures of lots of round corners of rocks in the ground before. Finally got an insitu of a grinding stone. Aside from only being the 3rd one I’ve found it’s kinda cool that it’s broken and being held together by clay.

Also a grinding stone is a good indicator of what kind of site I’m on and has me hopeful there’s more artifacts to be found there.

IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1081.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg
IMG_1088.jpeg

And one showing the other flakes across the bottom, few fossils on the left and a few rocks at the top that turned out to be pretty iffy/nothing when cleaned
IMG_1090.jpeg

Upvote 6
Out of a very small sample size, 2 of 3 are made of this red sandstone that takes a smooth polish texture. Got me wondering about them. Did they heat treat a specific sandstone to change its properties? Is it possibly a low grade quartzite? Seems they had a preferred stone to use for grinders which is interesting. Mostly Just wondering out loud but any insight is welcome, like I said I don’t find many groundstone artifacts.

Out of a very small sample size, 2 of 3 are made of this red sandstone that takes a smooth polish texture. Got me wondering about them. Did they heat treat a specific sandstone to change its properties? Is it possibly a low grade quartzite? Seems they had a preferred stone to use for grinders which is interesting. Mostly Just wondering out loud but any insight is welcome, like I said I don’t find many groundstone artifacts.
I’ve found some heated some not

I have never seen heat treated sandstone.

not saying it may not have occured.

I would think that the red hue in sandstone would be due to the chemicals laid down with the sand prior to being metamorphized to stone.

I don’t know if it’s really a heat treat but sandstone around here that’s been in a fire turns brick red. I tried to look closer but even the broken faces have patina I’m guessing it’s a certain layer of sandstone. Some were strong enough to be used in buildings other layers you could crumble with your hands

I don’t know if it’s really a heat treat but sandstone around here that’s been in a fire turns brick red. I tried to look closer but even the broken faces have patina I’m guessing it’s a certain layer of sandstone. Some were strong enough to be used in buildings other layers you could crumble with your hands
I’m guessing what I find is quartzite it could be sandstone I know we have both here. It’s a very nice example of a Mano/grinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back