Some Sort of Hunting Trap? I Have No Idea

ejp619

Greenie
Nov 4, 2016
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out metal detecting and i definitely wasn't expecting to find this. It appears to be some sort of hunting trap. I have no idea how it would trap an animal though. It is secured to a stake by a chain that goes super deep into the ground. I am having a very hard time digging it up. Below are some pics. If anyone has any idea what kind of trap this would be, please let me know. Also, if it is not a trap i would greatly appreciate knowing what it is. another thing, would anyone know an estimated age on this? I would like to know if it is an antique and would have any decent value.

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

Double ( long?) Spring foothold trap.
Traps are dyed ( oak bark with it's high tannic acid was popular around me) and waxed( boiled and dipped) usually prior to use to descent and control rust , protect from elements.
Some old timers buried them in swamp muck to descent,and darken with a controlled rust ,just in case some one finds a bunch together.

A foot hold properly set up and checked often does not cause much harm to target sized furbearers. Leave a green chew stick for the annoyed if they want to chew.
Many just wait.
I' ve released none target critters just fine. Even a small possum that walked off with a few cuss words.

The trap pan does not appear to be a common Victor brand , but the trap shown is a pretty standard pattern .
Worth five bucks to me..
For those who hate traps and want to destroy one they legally own, or a find one rusted beyond working...trap springs like the o.p.'s pics make great knives.
Pics of trapspring knives can be found online and up the value of a junk/parts trap when spring(s) is/are weak.
Bend a jaw gently inward to release it from frame hole on one side to remove. Cut spring at folded end ,grind or file ect. In a manner so not to overheat and spoil the steels temper and hardness . Unless willing to harden and retemper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oddjob, I rarely encounter anyone significantly larger than myself, so I don't sweat it. The ones you have to watch out for are the little guys with a chip on their shoulder. Those are the ones that will stick you with a knife in a blink of an eye.

As far as a reward, I doubt if they'd be able to catch them. I used to have a neighbor who jacklighted deer all the time. I reported him many times, but they never caught him. Takes a lot of manpower to stake out a spot night after night with the slim hope of catching a criminal in the act.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back