602.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240601_191146.jpg
    IMG_20240601_191146.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240601_184309.jpg
    IMG_20240601_184309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Solution
I’ve hunted the glacial till for 40 yrs. It’s amazing what you can find. I’m still finding new types of rock after all these years. You can shape and polish rocks for not much money. Buy a Dremel with extension hand piece and a set of diamond burrs. Harbor freight has the 1/8” diamond tools for reasonable. I started by drilling pebbles of quartz to make beads. Very inexpensive fun!
Toddspoint, that's awesome! Would love to see some of your favorite finds! Great idea- Harbor Freight is like a candy store, I'll check out your suggestions! I would love to shape edges and make beads. Here's an example of what I use a Dremel for currently (just the drift wood piece)
The first rock you posted is unakite. It’s actually metamorphosed granite. It’s a popular stone to polish or carve. We have it here in the glacial till. I never paid much attention to it and never brought any home. Now that I want a piece I haven’t found any lately. Figures!View attachment 2168587
Very cool, what fun to be able to shape them! I often like finding balance with the natural shape and creating jewelry or little clay pots from the clay deposit at the same lake to set them in. You'll find one very soon!

Upvote 1
The first rock you posted is unakite. It’s actually metamorphosed granite. It’s a popular stone to polish or carve. We have it here in the glacial till. I never paid much attention to it and never brought any home. Now that I want a piece I haven’t found any lately. Figures!View attachment 2168587
Great information as well, so lucky to be part of the glacial till' the lake brings beautiful stones from where they created the giant dremlins!

Upvote 0
Great information as well, so lucky to be part of the glacial till' the lake brings beautiful stones from where they created the giant dremlins!
I’ve hunted the glacial till for 40 yrs. It’s amazing what you can find. I’m still finding new types of rock after all these years. You can shape and polish rocks for not much money. Buy a Dremel with extension hand piece and a set of diamond burrs. Harbor freight has the 1/8” diamond tools for reasonable. I started by drilling pebbles of quartz to make beads. Very inexpensive fun!

Upvote 2
Toddspoint, that's awesome! Would love to see some of your favorite finds! Great idea- Harbor Freight is like a candy store, I'll check out your suggestions! I would love to shape edges and make beads. Here's an example of what I use a Dremel for currently (just the drift wood piece)

Attachments

• IMG_20240714_164617.jpg
    IMG_20240714_164617.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Upvote 3
Solution
Toddspoint, that's awesome! Would love to see some of your favorite finds!
These are points I chipped from flint that came from the glacial till. It took many yrs of hunting to put this frame together. I live near the terminal moraine of the WI glacier. The maximum extent south of the entire glacier is a few miles from me in Shelby Co. IL. I hunt along a river that cuts through the moraine. We have Canadian rocks! Flint makes up less than 5% of the rocks. All small pieces with lots of defects. With no flint outcrops, the local Indians used the till flint. I’ve identified many of the types they used and recognize them when I see them. This frame has become a reference for several local collectors. This has been my best reward from the glacial till gift I’ve been given.
IMG_3856.jpeg

Upvote 3
These are points I chipped from flint that came from the glacial till. It took many yrs of hunting to put this frame together. I live near the terminal moraine of the WI glacier. The maximum extent south of the entire glacier is a few miles from me in Shelby Co. IL. I hunt along a river that cuts through the moraine. We have Canadian rocks! Flint makes up less than 5% of the rocks. All small pieces with lots of defects. With no flint outcrops, the local Indians used the till flint. I’ve identified many of the types they used and recognize them when I see them. This frame has become a reference for several local collectors. This has been my best reward from the glacial till gift I’ve been given.View attachment 2168819
That's an amazing frame of different examples.
I'm lucky to be sitting on some of the oldest granite in NA.
Just on the property it can be black-pink.

Upvote 2
These are points I chipped from flint that came from the glacial till. It took many yrs of hunting to put this frame together. I live near the terminal moraine of the WI glacier. The maximum extent south of the entire glacier is a few miles from me in Shelby Co. IL. I hunt along a river that cuts through the moraine. We have Canadian rocks! Flint makes up less than 5% of the rocks. All small pieces with lots of defects. With no flint outcrops, the local Indians used the till flint. I’ve identified many of the types they used and recognize them when I see them. This frame has become a reference for several local collectors. This has been my best reward from the glacial till gift I’ve been given.View attachment 2168819
Stunning workmanship, thank you for sharing!

Upvote 1
The arrangement is fantastic!

Upvote 2
I love the rocks that end up here from Canada, especially the greens! After big storms I always find these deep gorgeous greens-

Attachments

• IMG_20240625_205545.jpg
    IMG_20240625_205545.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240713_180852.jpg
    IMG_20240713_180852.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back