Black Glass Arrowhead?

paulk8849

Sep 17, 2024
I have a ranch in No CA near the coast and find points fairly often. Most are of poor quality chert, but occasionally of obsidian (closest source is 100 or more miles away. A few days ago, I was out on an excavator and after scraping a bit, saw this broken point. It very much looks like it was made from glass to me. The color and thickness is quite uniform. One side is very slightly curved but quite smooth, the other is somewhat bubbled and pitted, but still very flat. I've been on the ranch for more than 50 years and it is quite remote. It would make sense to me that this was made by a NA out of glass, after Europeans came to the west. I'd be curious to know more. The width of the point at it's widest is 1 1/4". strangely it is slightly thicker near the point than at the base. Obviously not from a round bottle, but maybe some other glass source, like a square bottle? Sorry for the poor photography. I'm obviously not a great photographer.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpeg
    IMG_0877.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 3
Welcome to TreasureNet, I created new thread for you, It is always best to start new thread if you are not the original poster (OP) and it is different subject, (different point with questions)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back