Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground frost has been off and on so far this new year. Have 2 home sites I have been picking away at. One much earlier that the other. But typical 1700's to 1800's finds. Decorative brass Hames knob. To fancy and thin for oxen. Largest find so far of a group of 1600s-1700s knee buckles. Same site for the early Trefid pewter spoon handles. Buckles claws. A ball like button with shank probably 1820's and up. Also this large dandy button with shank. What's interesting is the design. My wife says it's appears to be a woman's neck, shoulders and breasts? Not going to figure what the dots below might be. OK, it's no me saying this.

Have found a number of coins which will be for another post soon.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Attachments

• recent finds 2024.jpg
    recent finds 2024.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20240213_103231953_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240213_103231953_HDR.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20240213_101704338.jpg
    IMG_20240213_101704338.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 29
I grew up in Barnstable…. Give me the chance to do it over, I’d have stayed….
Congrats on the digs!
I'm hunting Harwich and Brewster. Old Trails still crisscrosses the cape in all directions. 300+ years of folks walking or riding on just about every square foot of the cape. Most were just getting by. Coinage shows it. Very few Silver coins but lots of coppers. most pretty worn.

Nice! I love it when those trefid spoons pop up. You know you are on the old stuff. Regarding the button......hmmmmm......likely not what you wife is seeing. How does it line up with the shank? If it was a person's outline, it would be upright when sewn to the clothes.

Ground frost has been off and on so far this new year. Have 2 home sites I have been picking away at. One much earlier that the other. But typical 1700's to 1800's finds. Decorative brass Hames knob. To fancy and thin for oxen. Largest find so far of a group of 1600s-1700s knee buckles. Same site for the early Trefid pewter spoon handles. Buckles claws. A ball like button with shank probably 1820's and up. Also this large dandy button with shank. What's interesting is the design. My wife says it's appears to be a woman's neck, shoulders and breasts? Not going to figure what the dots below might be. OK, it's no me saying this.

Have found a number of coins which will be for another post soon.

Thanks for looking!

Bill
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

You saved some lovely old items Bill. Congrats on all the buckles ( I love buckles). I look forward to seeing the coins from these sites. It's fortunate that we are able to get out detecting in Jan/ Feb here in Massachusetts. I always try to take full advantage of opportunities for Winter hunting. Cheers!

You saved some lovely old items Bill. Congrats on all the buckles ( I love buckles). I look forward to seeing the coins from these sites. It's fortunate that we are able to get out detecting in Jan/ Feb here in Massachusetts. I always try to take full advantage of opportunities for Winter hunting. Cheers!
Been lucky on the cape. Frost has been 2" at most. Woodland areas with leaf cover are still frost free. Plan to post the coins sometime today. Quite a few early ones.

You've had a lot of productive recoveries. Congrats
Liking the buckles, though the silver ball button is a sweet keeper.
Wonder what the top right hand item is off of?
The faint pattern on the button almost has a shield outline to it-thought for a second a GW resemblance.
Looking forward to the next post up.

Definitely a hot spot. Just saw your coin post too… wow! Congrats and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back