SOLVED!what do these letterrs stand for on this silver cigarette case ?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all my brother has this silver cigarette that was our great grandfathers, we dont know much about it except that it looks like it may have been given to a soldier of war but in 1900 the only war that he could have been in was the boer war other than that we dont have any idea what the letters stand for, any info on this and or a value would be a great help thanks for looking, my brother has done a lot of searching but has come up empty handed. i have also added a close up of the halmark any info on that would be useful as well

Attachments

• case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 980
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • PC250007.JPG
    PC250007.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 586
Upvote 0
Re: what do these letterrs stand for on this silver cigarette case ?

daroofa said:
bartholomewroberts said:
The hallmarks indicate that it was made in London in 1899

I believe it's 1898. The maker looks like Sampson Mordan & Co. Here is one of their hallmarks from 1900...

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLISHSILVERMARKSXS3.html

My Bad... I read my book, saw the 'c' and read the incorrect date... I moved up or down, a line and got one year out.

Thank you for the correction

Upvote 0

snowdogg70 said:
wow when i ask a question i sure get an answer!! thanks everyone! DiggerBug how did you get that family history? im amazed what you came up with and would like to do some more research. if anyone else has any other info on this piece i would love to hear it!!

I did a quick search on ancestry.com. You have to have a subacription for most of the information, but sometimes you can catch a "free trial" offer.

Upvote 0

DiggerBug said:
snowdogg70 said:
wow when i ask a question i sure get an answer!! thanks everyone! DiggerBug how did you get that family history? im amazed what you came up with and would like to do some more research. if anyone else has any other info on this piece i would love to hear it!!

I did a quick search on ancestry.com. You have to have a subacription for most of the information, but sometimes you can catch a "free trial" offer.
ok thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Snowdogg,
I am new to this site and I have chosen the name frisson because that is what I felt when I read the newspaper cutting inside your cigarette case. I am not into metal detecting so I feel a bit like a fraud. It is you and your family that I would like to contact privately concerning Dorothy Warburton Gooding. She is the great granddaughter of a woman, whose story I have just completed and hope to deposit in one of the British Record Offices. I have some questions to ask you and, if you don't already know it, a great story to share with your family. It has taken some time to find Dorothy because I thought she was in the UK. It was only when I found her marriage details on Ancestry and then googled Thomas W. Gooding that this site came up. Thank you to the person who added those details to the stream - mostly correct but not entirely. My email address is [email protected]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back