SOLVED!what do these letterrs stand for on this silver cigarette case ?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all my brother has this silver cigarette that was our great grandfathers, we dont know much about it except that it looks like it may have been given to a soldier of war but in 1900 the only war that he could have been in was the boer war other than that we dont have any idea what the letters stand for, any info on this and or a value would be a great help thanks for looking, my brother has done a lot of searching but has come up empty handed. i have also added a close up of the halmark any info on that would be useful as well

Attachments

• case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 980
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • PC250007.JPG
    PC250007.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 586
Re: what do these letterrs stand for on this silver cigarette case ?

spanish american war -if us "trooper"

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
spanish american war -if us "trooper"
im not quite sure what you mean by this

Upvote 0

So is it correct that a Trooper is a Cavalry rank in the British Army? Since Taunton is in Somerset maybe the initials are something like West Somerset Riding Dressage Championship / West Somerset Riding D? Club?

I did find a West Somerset Riding Club on the net but I don't know how old it is.

http://www.westsomersetridingclub.co.uk/dressage.htm

Upvote 0

Bramblefind said:
So is it correct that a Trooper is a Cavalry rank in the British Army? Since Taunton is in Somerset maybe the initials are something like West Somerset Riding Dressage Championship / West Somerset Riding D? Club?

I did find a West Somerset Riding Club on the net but I don't know how old it is.

http://www.westsomersetridingclub.co.uk/dressage.htm
thats a good call but i think you might have mistaken the letters they are w.s.r.y.c.

Upvote 0

Oh ok! It looked like it was closed on top like a "D" and I thought maybe it had a tail like it sometimes added on to the D in that style of writing - like this-

hindlewoodsansgrotesque.gif

Upvote 0

trooper was a us calvary term for an enlisted man -- did the british use it also ?--

what does the newspaper clipping say?

Upvote 0

Got another image and I see your "Y" now ;D

yhst-19611687713758_2042_869408

Upvote 0

Ok here you go - West Somerset Yeomanry medal also has those initials on it-

Maybe

West Somerset Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=45092

West Somerset Yeomanry Medal, obv. horseman with sword, in exergue, ‘W. H. B. Portman Coll.’, rev. engraved, ‘Awarded to John Stone, 28th May 1870’, 35mm., silver, swivel scroll suspension; another, similar, obv. horseman with sword, exergue, ‘A. N. Hood Lt. Col.’, rev. engraved, ‘Won by Qr. Master J. Stone, W.S.R.Y.C. Best Carbine Shot, May 22 1875’, 35mm., silver, steel clip and silver straight bar suspension, mounted for wear from a silver buckle, good very fine (2) £100-120]

Upvote 0

A brass and copper bugle, by Kohler & Son, engraved Major Winter WSRYC, mouthpiece on chain, white cords (dented overall)

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-brass-and-copper-bugle,-by-kohler-son,-engrav-1-c-0ls3fld4qk

Great ID Bramblefind. Read Boer War http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Somerset_Yeomanry

The first contingent of recruits contained 550 officers, 10,371 men with 20 battalions and 4 companies[4], which arrived in South Africa between February and April 1900.[5] Upon arrival, the regiment was sent throughout the zone of operations.

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
the clipping is an obituary

Upvote 0

looks like boer war it is. - west somerset regiment of yeomanry calvary --

Upvote 0

Here is another item from that era with those initials- http://tinyurl.com/7d95nfw

A silver mounted ivory tusk jug and two beakers, London 1884 and the latter Birmingham 1884, the large jug with a tusk handle, 19cm tall, the beakers 10cm tall, with splits and damage throughout. The silver rim engraved 'WSRYC COs Prize for the Best Troop Horse in the 1885 Won by Mr G Saunders Lonsdale' 4 inch split from top into body 5 inch split from base into body numerous small cracks to the handle Beakers; engraved 'GS 1885' to shields marks clear both with small dents to upper rims, one with base missing.

I think the engraving is what makes this piece. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

:icon_thumleft:

Nice piece, any chance of a close up of the Stamp :P

SS

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
looks like boer war it is. - west somerset regiment of yeomanry calvary --
:thumbsup: The Regiment served in the Boer War as part of the 7th Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry, where their steadiness under fire earned them the popular name of "The Fighting 25th". Their badge also bears the honour "South Africa 1900-01".

Upvote 0

The hallmarks indicate that it was made in London in 1899

Upvote 0

Taunton is in Somerset. Whether there is a West Somerset County, or if it is in the west of Somerset County, I don't know. I have to defer to our English brothers to be further enlightened. Anyone read where the headquarters of the military body we are speaking of is located? It does appear possible that may not be a military related thing, as shown by the several trophies and awards on the market. But the TROOPERS part throws a spanner in that mix. And an English wrench messes things up just as well as any other one.

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
ivan salis said:
the clipping is an obituary

The obituary is for the wife of the soldier this case was presented to. The case is engraved T. W. Gooding. The obituary says Dorothy Warburton, wife of the late Thomas Wheddon Gooding.

This is what I found on them..............

1901 England Census
Name: Thomas Gooding
Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Son
Father's Name: George Gooding
Mother's name: Annie Gooding
Where born: Penton, Hampshire, England
Civil parish: Bathampton
Ecclesiastical parish: St Nicholas
Town: Bathampton
County/Island: Somerset
Street Address:1 Rose Cottages
Registration district: Bath
Sub-registration district: Bathwick
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 64
Piece: 2337
Folio: 59
Page Number: 9
Household Members:
Name Age
George Gooding 56
Annie Gooding 45
Thomas Gooding 22
Frederick Gooding 14

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967 about Thomas Wheddon Gooding
Name: Thomas Wheddon Gooding
Spouse: Lucy Emily Partridge
Event Year: 1904
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Religion: Anglican
Place of Worship or Institution: Montréal (Anglican Christ Church Cathedral,Actes)
Province: Québec (Quebec)

Birth Records:
Stanley Wheadon Gooding 10 May 1905 Male York Thomas W Gooding Lucy Emily Partridge
Stanley Whiddon Gooding 10 May 1905 Male York Thomas M Gooding Lucy Emily Partridge
Muriel Eileen Gooding 22 Apr 1906 Female York Thomas W Gooding Lucy Emily Patridge
Roland George Gooding 23 May 1908 Male York Thomas Wluddow Gooding Lucy Emily Partridge

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928 about Thomas Whiddon Gooding
Name: Thomas Whiddon Gooding
Birth Place: Wootton Courtney England
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Father Name: George Gooding
Mother Name: Christiann Hole
Spouse Name: Dorothy Warburton
Spouse's Age: 30
Spouse Birth Place: England
Spouse Father Name: John S Warburton
Spouse Mother Name: Mary A Smith Warburton
Marriage Date: 27 Nov 1919