PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I found this rock. It didn't look like much.

IMG_1021.jpg

I flipped it over.

IMG_1022.jpg

It still looked like a rock.

But wait, there's more....

There is this shiny yellow stuff embedded in the back side. I tried to get decent pictures of it but it looks better in real life than in photos. It's probably mica or pyrite. I will test it later. I put red arrows and circles using the graphic software to highlight the yellow stuff. You have to look close though, it's kind of small on the photos.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Any thoughts?

Patrick

PS: Happy New Year!!!

Upvote 4
Congrats on your rock. I think if you look closely you can see a hidden map to the treasure on oak island!!![emoji23]

Geologist here. The pictures you have aren't great, but it looks like some form of mica, probably muscovite (edit: or phlogopite). I do see some hexagonal looking crystals. Or pyrite, but again, the pictures aren't super clear, so I can't really give a 100% answer.

The best thing to do is take a pin, such as a push pin, and see if you can scratch them. If you can scratch it with that it would be mica. Pyrite is harder and shouldn't scratch.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Ok, I scratched the gold colored substance. It behaves like mica. It flakes off and rubbing it produces tiny glitter flakes.

Oh well, I still want to check the rest of the area now.

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Patrick

What part of Colorado? Some say black material is silver, silver looking material can be gold and gold color can be junk.

I am west of Canon City.

Its been a hectic couple of days. I need to use my metal detector on it as well. Just have to get past the holidays.

This rock was found in a dry gulch that ultimately feeds into the Arkansas river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back