🥇 BANNER Snakes - one was patriotic

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Was on a group hunt this past weekend down south. Day one, early into the hunt I found this patriotic button with a snake on the rim. I'm told that it's from the revolutionary war. Here it is cleaned up a little with a toothpick. I'm starting to see some shine peaking through. Would appreciate any advice on next step in cleaning/preserving. The real snake was found on day 2. Think it is a yellow rat snake.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422928842.371422.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929065.185622.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929080.686718.jpg

Gary

Upvote 36
BIG CONGRATS! If you'll notice there is one on the Banner. I'mm sure we'll have two up there now! What a super cool find!

That is one awesome button. Said to be rarer, but another guy found one same time. Hmmm.

Great snake find, not the rat snake! :laughing7: (Though the live snake, has a beauty of it's own.)
I am noticing, what are the 13 stars, almost resemble the flower of life in sacred geometry, making the snake(Ouroboros) devouring itself symbolic, as well. I thought them to be associated with the Masonic Order.
Anyone know anything on that, in relation to our founding fathers, or early revolutionaries?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-stars-button-plus-much-more.html#post4373643

That is a highly desirable button! Possibly Rev War but most likely just post war. That is the most common of the snake motif patriotic buttons. It originally had a silver wash and they are hard to find with the shank intact and the silver still on the face. Some of them can go for 4 figures. If I had the money, I would try to acquire as many of the different variants as possible. I have personally dug two of that style, and I have a tattoo of that button on my arm. You could say it's one of my favorites :laughing7:

Attachments

• Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 469
  • tattoo close.jpg.jpg
    tattoo close.jpg.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 345
That is a very cool find.

Even though another of these buttons was just found a couple days ago and made banner, I will also give this one a vote because I don't think we'll see another posted for some time, plus yours has the shank :thumbsup:

Wow. That's crazy! Bill just found the same button!? Mine was found on Friday in SC on a site known to have Rev war activity.

Gary

Last edited:
Does anyone else notice a trend happening here? lol
I'll give it til the end of the month and the banner will be full of snake buttons and gold coins!!

All due respect, according to the button gurus on this site, you are killing it with that find! Congrats on a "stellar" find

Congrats on the snake and stars button, and I threw the vote in for ya on this button also.:icon_thumright:

Nice Rat snake, not enough of them where are as it's on the fringes of it's northern habitat, so this spring I'm putting out a 4' x4' large mesh framed filled with compost for their breeding needs, as they need all the help they can get in this shrinking world.

:hello2: Congrats on super discovery! :hello2: You shouldn't do anything else to it until you check with some t-net experts, imo. :icon_thumright: Andi

That's CRAZY! Two in as many days.. I'm amazed.. WTG! That button will clean up really well. Great find. Banner for one - Banner for the other. HH and I'm glad you posted.

Awesome find! What are the chances? I'd love to see it up top. A rattlesnake button is very high on my list

Congrats on one heck of a button!! It's in great shape. There one of my favorites. Congrats again. HH!

Congrats on a spectacular find. Two in two days is just amazing. Good show!

That is one awesome button. Said to be rarer, but another guy found one same time. Hmmm.
I seem to recall GW buttons both being on banner at the same time....hmmmmm They are rare buttons and anyone who knows anything about early american relics will say the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back