Small red flake

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I walked the east edge of one of my timbers today. I found several flint nodules (small) and this red flake. I’m guessing it was heat treated. I marked the spot and plan to do a dig in that area this fall; just in case. All of my other heat treated flakes are much paler in color.

IMG_3302.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

Upvote 3
There is a lot of overlap when trying to visually identify flint. When I saw Blackfoot’s flake it reminded me of this one. This is heated Jasper from Bucks Co PA. I’m always skeptical when people say they found a point made of flint that originated hundreds of miles away. Sometimes true, sometimes not.
IMG_5870.jpeg

I've heard of obsidian points found in Ohio, & saw some in the museum in Columbus. The Hopewell & Adena cultures had a vast trade route. That being said they were extremely rare and usually recovered in excavated mounds.

I've heard of obsidian points found in Ohio, & saw some in the museum in Columbus. The Hopewell & Adena cultures had a vast trade route. That being said they were extremely rare and usually recovered in excavated mounds.
I think most of the long range flint movement happened during paleo times. Those people were always on the move. Especially in the vast western US. A North Dakota knife river flint Clovis found in NY is a good example. The Hopewells obtained exotic goods from far away but it was not for everyday use. The higher the quality of the material, the farther it traveled. After the Hopewell collapse I think most groups used more local sources and did a lot of heat treating to increase the quality of poor flint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back