Silver Dollars in the mail (pictures)

04 Diesel

Sep 13, 2006
Waterloo Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites 6000/D Series 2/ GTA 1000 Power Master
My daughter and son in law are in the Army and in Afghanistan, they know I collect coins. They got me some coins about three weeks ago, from an Afghanistan boy. They sent them to me in the mail, got them today. I am very excited, when I opened the package there are three Silver dollars that came out. The first is a 1889 Morgan Silver dollar, the second is a 1877 Trade dollar, the third is a 1799 Draped Bust silver dollar! They payed three dollars for all of the coins. Why would a Afghanistan boy have American silver dollars? I will try to get some pictures up soon, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

• Silver dollars.jpg
    Silver dollars.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,626
  • tails silver dollars.jpg
    tails silver dollars.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,630
Upvote 0
el conquistador said:
On the subject of fake coins that come out of China, a lot are sold on eBay. Most are coins that are too good to be true. They are made in quantities and sold cheap. These are also the ones that sell the WWII Japanese swords that they say are thousands of years old, and the other ancient artifacts that they say are thousands of years old. If these three are fakes, $3 is not a lot. Those $3 went to feed that child's family not to fund terrorism.

I'm currently in a 2nd/3rd world country so I know a little bit about the sale of fake goods. I see them on the street over here, mostly movies and music cds. The money doesn't go to fund terrorism or other major world crisis. The money goes to feed poor families that buy pirated items for less then a dollar and sell them for a few cents more. The ones making the major part of the money, mostly are other poor people who just happen to have a little bit more that had the money to invest in something to make or buy fake goods in quantity. There's also a big part of it that goes to corrupt officials, who also use it to feed their families.

Money that funds terrorism, according to the news, comes from people donating to supposedly "good causes" that gets funneled into criminal or terrorist groups. Donations from sometimes people living in the US that don't know where the final check goes. Many of these have been shut down. Also our dependence on foreign oil funds some of these groups. Where did I get this information??? Some from the news, some from personal experiences, etc.

But, back to the coins. Let 04 Diesel have them checked by a dealer before giving him a line of discouragement. He is happy with the coins that his family sent him from a war zone. I'm sure that there isn't a day that he isn't worried and wants his family back in the States. So even if the coins aren't real or are real give him a chance to have them checked. If they turn out not to be real at least he has 3 nice souvenirs from Afghanistan (or China). And, he can be assured the money used to purchase them went to buy food not bullets. Most people who live in war zones (believe it or not) are more worried about getting food than ammo.

I'm not trying to get on to those that are saying they are fakes, I'm just saying have a little heart.

Ebay seems to be doing something about these because I'm not seeing near as many. Either that, or the Chinese are finding out their fees amount to more than what they make off the odd person that buys them. And of course the negatives would get booted in a hurry.

jeff of pa said:
Being the 1799 is an Obvious Fake

I would have to say the Other 2 Are also.

Cool Find though

Agreed.

They got what they paid for.

A gift is a gift and now even these fake coins have a history! Worth keeping.

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

http://eastlondonhistory.com/the-billy-and-charley-fakes-part-1/

True, some Billy & Charlie fakes sell now for more than the real items. Although many were amatuer fantasy pieces. Now very collectable.

You never know, with the amount of debt the US has with China some day these might actually be real currency! :D

Funny thing is, these 19th century fakes have gone up in value so much that they are making modern fakes of the fakes :D

i read a tale of counterfeiters along the Mississippi river...lost stash of fake US silver...turns out the fakes they made had a higher silver content then the mint dollars...of course they were busted, and the stash never found...

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

http://eastlondonhistory.com/the-billy-and-charley-fakes-part-1/

True, some Billy & Charlie fakes sell now for more than the real items. Although many were amatuer fantasy pieces. Now very collectable.

You never know, with the amount of debt the US has with China some day these might actually be real currency! :D

Funny thing is, these 19th century fakes have gone up in value so much that they are making modern fakes of the fakes :D

That is very messed up but very true!

It definately wouldn't Surprise me
to find out they are being Honered in the stores over there
as Legal U.S. coins.

whether they are aware they are fake or not.

This is my first post although I have been reading this form for some time. I just had to add to this thread. I was stationed in Thailand in 1969 with the USAF. The locals would gather all of our beer cans (they had alot to gather) and melt them down. Then they would make dimes and quarters. To distrubute them the kids would run up to the GIs and ask to change US for Bot (Thai money) quickly change hands and run away. I still have a dime some where. Just thought you might be interested in knowing this has been going on for some time.

Just saw them pictures and boy are they nice looking coins for their age....
If you keep them, it's a cool memory. If you use them, hopefully it will be at fantasy market value and you can buy a lot of Made in China stuff with them.

China and the middle east are notorius for their fakes,they look nice though...kane 23

Fake or real, I am going to keep them. They are from my daughter and worth alot to me. Thanks for all the help. :thumbsup:

Hello, :D

First let me thank your Daughter and Son in Law for keeping me safe, happy and free. :thumbsup: Then let me help you, here are some ways to tell counterfeit coins. The reed-ed edges will be off like this /\/\/\/\/\ (wrong) instead of ||||||||| (Right). Another way is the plan of the coins, check them for Bee Sting or bug bite like bumps on the flat parts of the coin and... As other people said the size and weight will be off in most counterfeits. :icon_study:

Your Daughter did not get ripped off if they are fakes she only paid $1 each. I had some fakes I sold to my coin dealer for $2 each, we knew they were fakes. So you could likely make a profit but... :icon_scratch: Why do that as you said they are a gift from your daughter a great gift infact. If she were to try and get the real ones they would cost upwards of $30k :o So having fakes is a good way to get some of those unaffordable coins. :thumbsup: So they are a great gift indeed. :thumbsup:

Lastly, I have to agree with the guy who said the money goes to feed that kids family. I agree, I have been to 3rd world countries and the people need FOOD more than anything. :( The poor kids don't go to school they are out working the streets mostly selling goods to help feed their families. ??? The drug and terrorist money is made by killing, stealing and oil... Mostly Oil Really... :'( By buying Gas at your local gas station everyone funds terrorism. See the oil is owed by families who spend money to support terrorism. You know one such family they are very famous for it the Binladen family or Osama Binladen himself.

Thanks again, and may God and all his power bring your loved ones home safe fast and soon.

God bless,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Hi:
This will simple test will confirm.
Lay the coins heads up then flip them over left to right or even right to left if the reverse of the coins are facing up rather than upside down they are without a doubt fake. Canadian coins are not inverted.

COIN_NUT said:
Hi:
This will simple test will confirm.
Lay the coins heads up then flip them over left to right or even right to left if the reverse of the coins are facing up rather than upside down they are without a doubt fake. Canadian coins are not inverted.

Fliped all of them right to left and eagle is upside down.

I got back last year from Khandahar and myself bought a handful of those in the market full well knowing that they are fake. I brought them back for my son as a novelty. Some are pretty good replicas but there are some with cyrillic writing around the edge of the US dollar. I don't think that that is normally there.... I got one it is a 1906 walking liberty dollar liberty is spelt "LIBFRTY". Good for conversation though.

man i bet ya didnt expect so many replys. i like your finds 004 and plehba yourr to funny man. willy.

Still a cool thing to have with the history of how you got them 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back